cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

no ip routing impact

rajsingh68
Level 1
Level 1

I have two  core switches which are connected through L2 etherchannel. 

A)  I four vlan's like management, cctv camera vlan, server farm vlan, userzone vlan.

B)  L3 vlan's created on core switches

C) HSRP PROTOCOL CONFIGURED  ACTIVE/ STANDBY MODE

D) ALL CCTV CAMERA TRAFFIC IS SAVED ON SERVER FARM( CCTV→ACCESS SWITCH→TO CORE SWITCHES L3 VLAN &THEN TRAAFIC REACHED AT SERVER FRAM( window server / linux server).

Now question ask by the customer is given below :-→ 

If ip routing is  not configured  means  ip routing  disabled on switches core & access switches.

My query is that if I configured " NO IP ROUTING" THEN IS THERE COMMUNICATON TO SERVER FARM. OR NOT 

THANKS & REGARDS

RAJ 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Kevin Rivest
Level 1
Level 1

IP routing does not have to be configured on the access switches if the SVIs and gateways for the VLANs are not configured there.

If you disable IP routing on the core switches and their SVIs are configured as the gateways for the VLANs, then traffic between VLANs will not be routed. So in short the answer is yes, if you disable IP routing on your core switches communication will not work.

Hopefully I understand your question and configuration correctly and that answers your question.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Kevin Rivest
Level 1
Level 1

IP routing does not have to be configured on the access switches if the SVIs and gateways for the VLANs are not configured there.

If you disable IP routing on the core switches and their SVIs are configured as the gateways for the VLANs, then traffic between VLANs will not be routed. So in short the answer is yes, if you disable IP routing on your core switches communication will not work.

Hopefully I understand your question and configuration correctly and that answers your question.

cofee
Level 5
Level 5

In short no. If you disable IP routing on the core switch which is providing gateway for each vlan, then it will work as a layer 2 device and all vlans will be isolated, meaning they will only be able to communicate to hosts that are on the same vlan and there will be no inter vlan communication.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card