cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

odd loopback errdisable issue

fcs-lingle
Level 1
Level 1

My company has 4 Call Manager subscribers, two at our HQ datacenter and two at our colocation.   We powered down everything at our colo this part Saturday because we are moving it out of state.  Since then, we have had random locations having switch ports go into err-disabled that have phones connected to them since it.   I'd say only about 5% of the ports phones are connected to have done it.  But some locations have had up to 3 (most locations have 4 phones).   This is the message going across the 2960X switches:

%ETHCNTR-3-LOOP_BACK_DETECTED: Loop-back detected on GigabitEthernet1/0/11.
%PM-4-ERR_DISABLE: loopback error detected on Gi1/0/11, putting Gi1/0/11 in err-disable state

IN several years of me being here, I have never seen a port at one of our location with a phone connected to it get this, but we bring down a few CUCMs and all of a sudden we have a good 50 or so phone connected our of about 2500 do it.  For the life of me, I can not figure out how these two are related.   Unplugging the phone from the switch for about 10 seconds, letting it power off and bringing it back up has been fixing it.   There is jus too many for this not to be coincidental.  I am trying to figure out how they tie together.   Anyone have any ideas how they could be?

1 Reply 1

b.winter
VIP
VIP

There is a bug to this: CSCea46385
I don't think, your issue "belongs" to the Collab forum. IMHO, you would probably get more help in the Network/Switching forum. I can't imagine, that something in CUCM triggers a switch-port to go into this error state. CUCM knows nothing about any switches or routers at all.

https://community.cisco.com/t5/networking-knowledge-base/error-quot-ethcntr-3-loop-back-detected-quot-catalyst-switch/ta-p/3127989