cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Password recovery 2950 is Deleting configuration Why

Cisco10956
Level 1
Level 1

I am using " Password Recovery Procedure for the Cisco Catalyst Fixed Configuration Layer 2 and Layer 3 Switches"

And after I reset the username and password, then go into config t - all of the changes from my original config.text is not there

its all wiped out.  Why ????   isn't this process only suppose to affect the username and password. ??

config t                                                                   

username admin33 privilege 15 password Cisco45  : I substitute this for enable secret and enable password.

line vty 0 15

login local

line con 0

login local

end  

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi

Copy config.old running-config will append the config. you can use config replace config.old running-config to overwrite the config.  command is available since IOS release 12.2(25)S and 12.3(14)T.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Hi

It looks like a bug, have you saved the config once you have reset the credentials? this switch was manufactured a long time ago the IOS could have some bug but before to point to that we can try to verify what happens.

Once you have applied the changes you could use:

write memory 

or 

copy running-config startup-config

Just a question have you execute password recovery procedure on this switch? Could you please provide me a show version?

:-)

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

I found the answer thanks any way.

I needed to copy config.old running-config

This does Not delete or over right the contents of the running-config - It Merges it along with the additional username and credentials.

Hi

Copy config.old running-config will append the config. you can use config replace config.old running-config to overwrite the config.  command is available since IOS release 12.2(25)S and 12.3(14)T.

After doing this on a Cisco 2950 switch. I figured out what the process does. The Cisco document is a process of steps that stops the prompting of the original username and password You may have forgotten or lost. And then give the technician at the console the ability to enter into Config t mode aka global configuration mode the ability to enter a username and password you have document and know.

switch#copy flash:config.text system:running−config   After the original config.text gets copy Back into memory - There will be no username or pw.
switch#show run  : You will here the contents of your original config.text. The next step will allow you to enter into Config t
Config t
enable secret Cisco34
username admin43 privilege 15 secret Cisco65
end
wr or copy run config
reload   After your reload you will now be able to login to switch with a Username and Password  You Know and Do Not Forget.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card