cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Port-Channels with Routers

jonesl1
Level 1
Level 1

I need a little assistance as we are looking into designing a Disaster Recovery site and are in the process of designing it.  We have 2 1 gig fiber links

being handed to us for the connection back to the HQ location.    The problem is, how do I terminate these 2 fiber links to provide a full 2 gig connection back to the Headquarters location?   This is where I thought we could possibly do a port-channel with 2 of the interfaces located on the ASR 1002 router, however, I'm not sure this I can do port-channels from a switch to a router.   I'm able to get the port-channel to come up, but I can't seem to get traffic to pass (unable to ping across it).   In addition to this location, we will also be putting in a nexus 5k/2k deployment as well.     Upon considering terminating the port-channel to the 5k, we don't believe we would be able to perform the GRE and CRYPTO tunnels by doing it this way.   And since we would be moving across a foreign network to get back to our HQ, we want the GRE and Crypto options.

Again, I did try to set up the portchannel from switch to router locally and was able to get all links up,  Upon showing the port-channel information, it showed the combined bandwidth of the two links.  Unfortunately, I just couldn't get a ping across it.  I didn't understand this and am looking for some assistance.  

Any assistance would be appreciated.  

Thanks in advance!!

6 Replies 6

andrew.prince
Level 10
Level 10

Why not do it the old fashion way - run a dynamic routing protocol over the two links that supports multi path load sharing? EIGRP/OSPF

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Tony Mattke
Level 4
Level 4

Can you post some configuration output, I'd be happy to look at it and see if I notice any misconfigurations. There should be no issues running a PC between a router and a switch.

I'd recommend using LACP (channel-group XX mode active) on each side.

AFAIK;-

1) Routers can form Port-Channels, only if you have a switching module in the device; not support on normal FE/GIG

2) They do not support PAgP or LACP protocol negotiation.

The ASR 1k supports Port-Channels on L3 interfaces IIRC, and does support LACP. However you are correct in stating that it does not support PAGP.

ASR pertinent information::

int port-channel 20

ip address x.x.x.x y.y.y.y

int g0/0/0

channel group 20

speed 1000

duplex full

int g0/0/1

channel group 20

speed 1000

duplex full

3750 pertinent information:

int port-channel 20

ip address x.x.x.x y.y.y.y

int g0/0

channel group 20 mode on

speed 1000

duplex full

int g0/1

channel group 20 mode on

speed 1000

duplex full

On the ASR side, i'm unable to state that I want to turn the mode to active, it only allows me to enter 'channel-group 20' and thats it.   The syntax doesn't allow anything after the '20'.

on the 3750 side have you tried "no switchport" under in port-channel 20 ??

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card