cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Port setups for access points

jsherman31
Level 1
Level 1

I feel like this should be a relatively straightforward question but I can never find a clear answer so maybe it depends on the environment. In our set up we have a combination of netgear gs724tpv2 and Cisco 2960x. It's a very simple environment we only have vlan 1 and vlan 100(for ip phones) I'm working on segmenting the traffic a bit more before anyone says anything on that. In any case, a lot of the APs are connected to the netgear's which don't explicitly let you set up a trunk port but it does allow you to create VLANs and what the native vlan is and everything else will be considered tagged. Though we plan on replacing those with cisco business class switches. The main question i have is should the switchports connected to APs be set up as access ports or trunks? As I stated we have just two vlans but I plan to move everyone off of VLAN 1 and onto VLAN 10, 100 will be for voice and I may make a vlan 3 for APs since they use x..x.3.x  ip addresses. 

My assumption was they need to be set up as trunk ports since we have more than 1 vlan. 

4 Replies 4

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Depends whether the AP is configured to support a trunk, such as having multiple SSIDs, each in a different VLAN.  I'm assuming these APs are not LWAPs.

So right now we're using ubiquiti APs specifically UAP-AC-PRO and u6-LRs. Though we're going to migrate to Meraki APs. We only have 1 SSID but multiple VLANs 1, (soon to be vlan 10) and vlan 100 and I'd like to put the APs themselves on their own VLAN. However, most of our wireless traffic are cell phones or laptops if someone is roaming the floor. Otherwise if they're at their desk they're connected via ethernet. So I'm just torn, so because users connected to wifi will typically be in VLAN 10 the port connected to APs only need to be access ports but I thought about making the APs themselves in VLAN 3 so Perhaps the port needs to be configured as a trunk port. So the port will be carrying traffic for VLAN 3 (AP) and the APs are connected to clients which will be VLAN 10

Perhaps the simplest way to think of an AP as just another downstream switch and its wireless clients as switch clients.

Thinking that way you can consider whether the switch<>AP connect needs to be a trunk or not and what VLAN(s) AP needs to support.

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

in addition to @Joseph W. Doherty 

Is the AP acting as WLC ?  in your case if you moving out to different VLAN for AP, then access port vlan 3 you should consider for AP.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card