cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

power-off stack C9200L issue

Chin Chang
Level 1
Level 1

I met a stack switch trouble, my model is C9200L-24T-4G, it is stack two, IOS version are 17.6.4, ROMMON are 17.9.1r. And I have HA failover test, the steps...
1)
sw1 is active, sw2 is standby, any fine currently.
2)
unplug 2 power cables on sw1(active), i can see sw1 is power-off, and sw2 status from standby to active quickly.
3)
plug 2 power cables on sw1, wait sw1 boot.
i can see sw1 load IOS and go to standby status, and sw2 still active status now.
4)
now, sw1 is standby, sw2 is active. and then unplug 2 power cables on sw2(active), sw2 is power-off, BUT! sw1 is power-off too! sw1 doesnt to active status!

and i repeat same behavior(step 4) and console to sw1. i noticed sw1 terminal message is 「Initialing Hardware」, it likere-plug power cable, final load to IOS and it can work.
i'm confused, i think in step 4, sw1(standby) should go to active status when i un-plug power cables on sw2(active).
however, sw1 has not. is it right? why?

7 Replies 7

@Chin Chang after power up the switch 1 how much time you gave to sync up the switches? it takes some time to fully sync and balance the state. if you power off switch 2 while the sync is happening, that is affecting to both switches.

Please rate this and mark as solution/answer, if this resolved your issue
Good luck
KB

「how much time you gave to sync up the switches?」
it maybe 10 minutes. but i have confirm by 「show switch」, active / standby status is after HA progress.
and 「show enviroment all」, sw1 & sw2 power are OK.

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Not that i have encounter this issue - we have deployed many stacks last few years.

now, sw1 is standby, sw2 is active. and then unplug 2 power cables on sw2(active), sw2 is power-off, BUT! sw1 is power-off too! sw1 doesnt to active status!

1. I am sure after the Configuration sync and waited for the stacking to come up and you removing the Power from Switch2, and Switch 1 should able to become master and work as expected.

2. how is your Power configuration, are you using any Stack Power here ? (can you post the configuration removing password or any other information sensitive)

3. what logs you see on the device before it go offline both ?

some reference guide for stacking and how you can test :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst9300/software/release/17-3/configuration_guide/stck_mgr_ha/b_173_stck_mgr_ha_9300_cg/managing_switch_stacks.html

There is good presentation help you understand :

https://www.ciscolive.com/c/dam/r/ciscolive/us/docs/2021/pdf/BRKARC-2019.pdf

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

「how is your Power configuration」
the C9200L-24T-4G *2 perform stack. they connected data-stack & 2 power cables only, have not connected power-stack.
the attchment file, i had delete sensitive info. but the log was before perform HA failover test. after HA test, i had 「show ver」to view reload reason, i remember that is lose activate / standby status.
now, i can not touch the C9200L, because they are in user-site.

High level i do not see any configuration issue here. (like to see some below details)

Can you post #show switch detail

also refer some tools to verify all ok.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-9300-series-switches/217684-verify-and-troubleshoot-stackwise-on-cat.html

How many times you performed this test ? have you tried another time ?

BB

i have not 「show switch detail」 cuttently.

How many times you performed this test ? have you tried another time ?

HA failover test total i tried 2 times. the result are same.

Once we get that command output we requested, also check any crashlogs dir flash:  (that give indication what went wrong).

BB

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card