Views
Helpful
Replies

Recovering Configuration from NVRAM of Dead Router

kashif2401
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

One of my client got 2911 Router which is completely dead now,  we tried changing PSU, Fan module, RAM, and also Flash, Those units are working fine when tested on other device, so I am suspecting issue with Motherboard or may be something else.

Anyhow, there is no configuration saved on the flash, it might be on NVRAM, so is there any way ANY WAY to take the NVRAM out of the dead router and install it on other router.

Or if there is some other way, please let me know.

2 Replies 2

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

nvram contains the startup config file but you need to get the router powered up before you can move the contents to flash from nvram --- copy nvram:startup-config flash0: , that's the file you would be looking for

Unfortunately ive never heard or seen of way  to physically move it between routers , nvram is built into the board , its not a removable part if you try on old or new router it will also void any type of warranty

You chance it its all on you could end up with 2 broken routers :(

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/access/2900/hardware/installation/guide/Hardware_Installation_Guide/Internal_Modules.html

"NVRAM chip is next to the ROM chip on the motherboard. If you look from the back end of the router with the case off (the end with the interfaces and power supply, there are two removable chips by the flash. The left one is the ROM and the right one is the NVRAM"

yes nvram store the startup config , thats why im looking for that.. has anybody faced the similar problem before and retrieved the config?

and I checked everything inside the router, i could not find nvram there

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card