Views
Helpful
Replies

redundancy in core layer

chpmotry
Level 1
Level 1

hi guys . 

i have a network with below topology. In the core layer, I want to have redundancy, which means that if the main core switch of my network has a problem, the backup switch will automatically enter the circuit. What method is there?

redundancy in core layer.png

16 Replies 16

You need first to use PO for all connection.

Second you need to use HSRP between two cores

MHM

@MHM Cisco World  thanks a lot for your recommendation.

the type of my core switch is 3600x-24fs-m and the place of these two core switch is in the different and far a way places. what the method you recommend to me?

thank you @MHM Cisco World 

i want to implement hsrp but because my core switches connected to my network by trunk port , the hsrp doesnt implement.

Even So'

You can hsrp under the vlan SVI.

So you get one hsrp group for each vpan allow in trunk' and even more you can do some load balance by using hsrp group.

MHM

M02@rt37
VIP
VIP

Hello @chpmotry 

According to the CORE's model, you should configure the two CORE as ONE CORE by using vPC, Stackwise or VSS technologies. Depend of the model ! 

After that, double attach the L2 switches to the CORE following the best practices of each technologies.

Best regards
.ı|ı.ı|ı. If This Helps, Please Rate .ı|ı.ı|ı.

thank you so much M02@rt37 

the type of my core switch is 3600x-24fs-m and the place of these two core switch is in the different and far a way places but they are connected with fiber link and in layer 2 network . what the method you recommend to me?

rais
Level 7
Level 7

What's north of this core? 

hi rais

what means of north phrase in the switch?

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Between the main-core and backup-core, you can use HSRP since they are 3600x-24fs-m switches but you need a layer-2 link between them.

HTH

thank you so much @Reza Sharifi 

i guess that your means is i need layer 3 link because the hsrp is layer 3 protocol between them.

Just a layer-2 trunk link as a heartbeat to include vlan 2, 3, and 4. Also, just make sure all access switches are uplinked to both 3600 switches. For HSRP, you need 3 IPs per vlan, one for each core switch and one for the VIP. 

HTH

I mean that for enabling hsrp ,we need to command sw(config)#standby , and this command not running in trunk or access port , because we should typing "no switchport" before command "standby" then the hsrp only implemented in layer3  interface.

Many thanks .

No, for HSRP, you just enable it under the SVIs for vlans 2, 3 and 4, and the layer-2 link between the switches will be used as a heartbeat to communicate between the HSRP master and the member.

HTH

Try those things :

• (VRRP) or (HSRP): These protocols make sure there's always a main core switch working. If it fails, another one jumps in automatically.
  • Stacking: If your switches support it, you can stack them together so they act as a single unit. If one switch fails, the rest keep things going.
  • STP: This prevents loops in your network and automatically reroutes traffic if a core switch fails.
  • Pick the one of the method, that fits your setup best, or use a combination for extra protection against failures.

Best regards
    If This Helps, Please Rate.
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card