Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RSTP root bridge selection is taking 12 seconds

I have 5 switches with links going to each other in a star topology. Now, Switch 3 is the root bridge but when i power it off it takes about 12 seconds to switch over to switch 2 which is configured to be the next root bridge if a failure occurs. Does 12 seconds sound to long? There are no specific times online indicating how long this should take. 

7 Replies 7

M02@rt37
VIP
VIP

Hello @anthonymurphy586,

The total transition time from Listening to Forwarding state is about 30 seconds. Considering some additional processing time and network latency, a 12-second transition from one switch to another as the root bridge is reasonable.

Best regards
.ı|ı.ı|ı. If This Helps, Please Rate .ı|ı.ı|ı.

30 seconds? I thought that was for STP not RSTP?

Sorry @anthonymurphy586 lol I dont read the title. Shame on me.

Please share configurations.

Best regards
.ı|ı.ı|ı. If This Helps, Please Rate .ı|ı.ı|ı.

wesleyj84
Level 1
Level 1

Would you share your rstp and port configs for those switches?

Hello

• What stp mode are you running and is it the same mode consistent on all switches < if not suggest you apply this if applicable>
  • Assumption is you stp diameter is default (7)? < depending the stp mode this can be change automatically to decrease your stp timers>
  • Do you also have portfast enabled on ALL edge ports? <---- if not suggest you apply this

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

"RSTP operational details:  Detection of root switch failure is done in 3 hello times, which is 6 seconds if the default hello times have not been changed."

Forgoing found in Wiki STP article.

If electing a new root also takes 6 seconds, that would account for your 12 seconds.

Martin L
VIP
VIP

what is topology? (below is example of it);  what are ports roles and where?   how exactly did u measure your 12 sec delay?

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card