Views
Helpful
Replies

Running out of ports on C3750 switches

Steve Benner
Level 1
Level 1

Hello -

My environment currently has 9 Cisco 3750 switches in the infrastructure and I'm nearing a point of being max'd out.  I'd like to begin possibly building a second stack of 9 Cisco 3750 switches into my infrastructure, but I'm not sure how to configure them and get both stacks to communicate with one another and allow the data to traverse.  

I realize that this is an open ended-question, but am seeking some wisdom and advice on how to proceed.

Thanks!

2 Replies 2

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
My environment currently has 9 Cisco 3750 switches in the infrastructure and I'm nearing a 
point of being max'd out. 

I'm not sure if you've experienced this strange behaviour but if you have, say, a large stack of switch (seven or more), you 'll notice that sometimes in configuration mode you'll experience a certain "lag" after you hit "Enter".  

This is an inherit flaw with the hardware itself (and not OS).  This is why I am one who puts my foot down to six (6) switches in a stack.  

I'd like to begin possibly building a second stack of 9 Cisco 3750 switches into my infrastructure, but I'm not sure how to configure them and get both stacks to communicate with one another and allow the data to traverse.  

Fastest way is to copy the configuration of your existing stack, edit the config and change out the IP address and putting it into the new stack.  

Same way as how you connnect them up to your core switch.

You just need to build trunk betweem the two switch stacks and create the needed VLANs if you are in transparent mode or correct VTP parameters if in server/client mode.
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card