cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SPAN Session Delete or Keep When Done

emcclend
Level 1
Level 1

I was wondering what the recommended procedures are on a SPAN session that is currently not being used.  For example a SPAN session for a VLAN, when done troubleshooting, is it recommended to delete the SPAN or is it ok to leave it, in the event similar troubleshooting needs to be done sometime in the future.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

doodles6970
Level 1
Level 1
Hi,

I’m not too sure on the official stance but I would always remove when done. It always depends on the circumstance. Some people use span ports on their critical links such as WAN to monitor the traffic in the absence of traffic monitoring.
My advice would be that if it’s a one off span port then remove it. I’ve seen instances before when people have left them on and then someone plugs into it unknowingly.
Best to try and keep things tidy!

Ryan

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

doodles6970
Level 1
Level 1
Hi,

I’m not too sure on the official stance but I would always remove when done. It always depends on the circumstance. Some people use span ports on their critical links such as WAN to monitor the traffic in the absence of traffic monitoring.
My advice would be that if it’s a one off span port then remove it. I’ve seen instances before when people have left them on and then someone plugs into it unknowingly.
Best to try and keep things tidy!

Ryan
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card