Views
Helpful
Replies

Switch management ideas?

Chris Golden
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

I just wanted to get a feel for what the rest of the professionals are doing out there.

I have 10 L3 switches in production and do not want to be able to through the uplinks anymore.  For example we have a vlan 15 which is solely for switch management.  What I would prefer is to realise either how to centrally manage the devices through their management ports or console ports remotely.

What are the best practices and what is the best way to achieve this.  If my question is not completely clear, please ask questions so I can maybe clarify this better.

Many thanks

1 Reply 1

Hello,

If we need to manage them via console ports remotly, what I wopuld prefer is have a Data Core Network which is out band, Lets say a 3925 router and from their we can have an extension to console ports of the boxes.

I didn't understand  "I have 10 L3 switches in production and do not want to be able to through the uplinks anymore. "

Lets say if you want them to manage remotly via ssh/telnet you need to pass the management traffic out of all the trunk ports and asign the vlan in all the switches, which inturn passes the management traffic to your putty server at one central mpoint so that you can access all the switches from single point.

Please spare with my english If I am not clear.

BR

Mohammad Thanveer

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card