Views
Helpful
Replies

Switch port status connected no patch cable

hshabany
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have a Cisco 3560 switch. I have couple of ports in there that I cant use. When I connect a device to these ports I get network cable unplugged. The switch shows that these 2 ports are connected and packets are received through them. The interface status for these 2 ports is UP and UP. I cant seem to put my hand on what is wrong there. 

10 Replies 10

marce1000
VIP
VIP

>these ports I get network cable unplugged

- What do you mean by this sentence ? Also issue show logging on the switch , once the connection is mode ; look for errors if any (provide exact errors as provided by IOS)

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

When I connect a workstation to this port, it will show network cable unplugged. I have issued a show logging on the switch and no errors came up.

Hi

Probably the ports are damaged, try to make a reset of the ports, example:

conf t

default interface range fa0/15,fa0/20

And configure them again. 

Hope it is useful

:-)

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

Hi Julio,
I have already tried to reconfigured the ports again put the same thing happens. It is a fairly new switch, but I believe that these ports might be physically damaged.

Hi

Can I know which ports are?

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

ports 21 & 22 in a 24 ports switch.

Hi

Thank you, if you have made all the procedure to enable the ports and the same result, as you mentioned it could be a physical problem. If you have warranty you could open a case with the Cisco TAC to begin the RMA process. 

Yeah, I have started a ticket with them. Thanks for the help

Hi

You are welcome.

:-)

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
What is the IOS version this switch is running on. I remembered reading a bug with description like this. The workaround was to shut/no shut the port.
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card