cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

unable to remove aaa authentication on Nexus 9000

MJ666
Level 1
Level 1

I  wanted to test a local account on a Nexus switch and bypass the radius (ssh)connection.

To do so, I add the  aaa authentication login default local 

I am now able to access the local account but I wanna get back to the previous configuration.

When I enter no aaa aaa authentication login default local , it says 

"can not disable 'local' method for authentication "

Any clue?

5 Replies 5

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Check logs on the nexus just after that error (too) ;  the reason for the error could be that the current administrative user was authenticated via the local method. In general however I would not advise to remove that command because it is an important fallback method to keep having access to the device if the remote authenticating servers become unreachable , 

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

thank you @marce1000 

I did kept the command and from that locaI, I was able to reinstall the aaa authentication login default group radius

I now have access to ssh login again.

However, I still cant access to one device per ssh and localaccount anymore any clue ?

- Not directly ;  you will have to scrutinize and compare the configuration (differences) then between the devices (e.g.)

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

@marce1000  in fact, the switches had a previously configured admin account.
I was able to connect successfully using this account on the console port.
I reinstalled the services aaa authentication login default group radius which allowed me to reconnect using ssh.

Thanks for your information

- Good to know , but I would still advise to keep a local fallback method in place , 

M.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card