cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade a C3800 switch issue

John N
Level 1
Level 1

I was upgrading a C3850 48 port switch and all was well until I believe I might have deleted the cat3k_caa-stdriver.16.12.09.SPA.pkg. while trying to the delete the old file with the same name in flash.  The switch failed and is currently looping.  I had to take it off the network.  I went into ROOMON mode and I see both the packages.conf and the packages.conf.00 files but cannot boot into them.  I then used a USB (company approved-expansion portable drive) and the switch doesn't seem to recognize it.  I am out of ideas - can someone suggest something else?  This switch took forever to get all the config files and all the old files into this switch so I don't want to RMA or start over.  Any help would be appreciated. 

1 Reply 1

Hello!

You will need to boot from USB inside rommon. Use the following steps to make it work:
1. Format an USB 16GB (it has to be max 16GB) with FAT32, pick an image for you to boot (you can use the same image, make sure its .bin), copy the file to the USB drive and inserted the USB drive into the standard USB slot on the front of the switch.
2. Entered this command from the switch: boot usbflash0:/cat9k_iosxe.XX.XX.XX

BR

****Kindly rate all useful posts*****
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card