cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade Cat 9300 and 9500 No Reboot

axoolkalle
Level 1
Level 1

Is there a better way to upgrade these yet?

Obviously, I want to reboot after-hours. The install command still cannot be scheduled.

install add file flash:cat9k_iosxe.17.09.05.SPA.bin activate commit prompt-level none

If I do not do prompt-level none then I pretty much press Y or N. If Y is selected the device reloads.

The closest I can find is this:

request platform software package expand switch all file flash:cat9k_iosxe.17.09.05.SPA.bin auto-copy overwrite

The problem here is that I need to delete packages.conf (or rename it) on every switch first. otherwise I get something like cat9k_iosxe.17.09.05.SPA.conf

In the ideal situation I could run the install command. It would do something like rename the old packages,.conf to something like oldcat9k_iosxe_17.06.05.SPA.conf and automatically stage the new one as packages.conf

Then take effect on reload whenever scheduled.

Q: Is there a better way to do this? I have a small team of some guys, and I want them to do all the work, but I want something pretty well automated that works well with stacks ...

My fear is that they won't check everything, have boot variables that do not point to working installs, etc. and then I will be stuck having to drive out to some site 4+ hours away.

Any nearly idiot-proof way to do this?

4 Replies 4

As this has nothing to do with anything whatsoever in the Collaboration area I’m moving your post into a more suitable area.

Response Signature

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@axoolkalle wrote:
Obviously, I want to reboot after-hours.

It can be done (extract all the package files and reboot at a later date, with CLI) and I call it the One-Hit-Wonder (see attached).

Thanks, @Roger Kallberg.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card