cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What is the impact of disruptive ISSU on N7K for LACP for ports with LACP Fast attached devices?

ERIK LAWAETZ
Level 1
Level 1

I have a pair of N7Ks which have a number of HP Virtual Connect (VC) equipped enclosures attached via LACP.

The N7Ks insist on LACP Slow timeout, and the VC on Fast timeout.
For details:

Upgrading the VC to 4.00 is not an option so we're stuck with this situation:

# sh lacp interface eth4/1
Interface Ethernet4/1 is up
  Channel group is 58 port channel is Po58
  PDUs sent: 3578071
  PDUs rcvd: 119903
  Markers sent: 0
  Markers rcvd: 0
  Marker response sent: 0
  Marker response rcvd: 0
  Unknown packets rcvd: 0
  Illegal packets rcvd: 0
Lag Id: [ [(1, 44-1e-a1-78-a8-73, 2, 1, 15), (7f9b, 0-23-4-ee-be-1, 803a, 8000, 401)] ]
Operational as aggregated link since Fri Mar 21 21:57:29 2014

Local Port: Eth4/1   MAC Address= 0-24-f7-16-85-c2
  System Identifier=0x8000,  Port Identifier=0x8000,0x401
  Operational key=32826
  LACP_Activity=active
  LACP_Timeout=Long Timeout (30s)
  Synchronization=IN_SYNC
  Collecting=true
  Distributing=true
  Partner information refresh timeout=Short Timeout (3s)
Actor Admin State=61
Actor Oper State=61
Neighbor: 0x15
  MAC Address= 44-1e-a1-78-a8-73
  System Identifier=0x1,  Port Identifier=0x1,0x15
  Operational key=2
  LACP_Activity=active
  LACP_Timeout=short Timeout (1s)
  Synchronization=IN_SYNC
  Collecting=true
  Distributing=true
Partner Admin State=63
Partner Oper State=63
Aggregate or Individual(True=1)= 1

When attempting to perform an ISSU of the N7K (6.2.2 -> 6.2.8) it reports:

Additional info for this installation:
--------------------------------------

Service "lacp" in vdc 2: LACP: Upgrade will be disruptive as 8 switch ports and 0 fex ports are not upgrade ready!!
      Issue the "show lacp issu-impact" cli for more details.

# show lacp issu-impact
For ISSU to Proceed, Check the following:
1. All port-channel member port should be in a steady state.
2. LACP rate fast should not be enabled on member ports.

The following ports are not ISSU ready
Eth4/1      , Eth4/2      , Eth4/3      , Eth4/4      , Eth4/5      ,
 Eth4/6      , Eth4/7      , Eth4/8      ,

This raises two questions:

1. How to workaround this issue?
  2. How big is the impact - in other words how "disruptive" would the ISSU be LACP wise if proceeding with the ISSU?

One workaround might be to exclude the affected ports from the LACP channel on one switch during upgrade, which would presumably force them into individual mode, include the again after ISSU, and repeat the process on the other N7K. Question is, will this work in a vPC setup, where one of the peer switches has been upgraded and the other has not, or would vPC config be locked until they are on par with NX-OS versions?

On the question of "how disruptive" will this affect only the eight ports with Fast timers, or will it affect the entire LACP process and as such the entire N7K performing ISSU?

5 Replies 5

l33d5un1t3d
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Erik,

Did you get an answer to your question.....I would also like to know if it's just the ports that get bounced or is it a lot worse?

If you get some ports that are in "NOT ISSU READY" after execute the "show lacp issu-impact " command, you can shutdown those ports in order to continue with the ISSU upgrade. (thats what i did) because if you continue with the upgrade, with those ports active, The upgrade process will restart all the supervisor modules at the same time and you will get a Down Time of all your box. (sorry for my english)

Hi there...thank you for your response....your English is fine, it is Cisco's wording with the impact output that's not clear what will happen:-) 

I did think that if you had dual supervisor modules the new image was loaded onto the standby module which is upgraded (restarts with the new image), and then it becomes the active supervisor whilst the other module is upgraded (and restarts) hence it is a hitless upgrade...although I understand the LACP fast timer ports will be affected? 

I ignore this message once and the installation process restart the two supervisor at the same time, not just the lacp ports are affected... The down time was of about 5-7 minutes @_@

anghel.andrei
Level 1
Level 1

You might try configuring the port to use LACP fast

The command would be:

interface Ethernet1/X

lacp rate fast

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card