Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WS-X6K-SUP1A-2GE with WS-X6K-S2-PFC2

Hi everyone,

I have an easy question, but I have not been able to find the answer. ^^

I would like to know if i can have redundancy between these Supervisor Engine (on the same chassis) :

WS-X6K-SUP2-2GE & WS-X6K-S2-PFC2

I already know that WS-X6K-SUP2-2GE + WS-F6K-PFC2  =  WS-X6K-S2-PFC2, but i'm not sure if we can have compatibility(redundancy) between these two cards.

Example :

Mod Slot Ports Module-Type Model Sub Status

--- ---- ----- ------------------------- ------------------- --- --------

1 1 2 1000BaseX Supervisor WS-X6K-S2-PFC2 yes standby

2 2 2 1000BaseX Supervisor WS-X6K-SUP2-2GE yes ok

Thanks for your answer !

2 Replies 2

Fabienne Stephanoff
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Alexandre,

I have not tested this personally so can't confirm it will work but I did locate an older internal post mentioning it would work.

Fabienne

TAC

amikat
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

In my view to support redundancy the pair of supervisors must meet these hardware requirements:

The Supervisor engine, the routing engine and the forwarding engine models MUST be the same on both modules to support redundancy.

As you quite correctly understand the WS-X6K-S2-PFC2 inludes the WS-F6K-PFC2 forwarding engine but the WS-X6K-SUP2-2GE does not include any forwarding engine itself. So unles the WS-F6K-PFC2 is displayed under the "Sub-Module" section (if running native IOS) or the "Sub-Type" section (if running hybrid) of your "show module" command output of the WS-X6K-SUP2-2GE module these Supervisors do not meet the hardware requirements.

I am ignoring the fact that your heading is referring to both the Sup1A and Sup2 while your actual question is about the Sup2 redundancy.

Best regards,

Antonin

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card