cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Expressway Default call bandwidth (kbps)

Mike Assel
Level 4
Level 4

Can somebody please explain to me how the "Default call bandwidth (kbps)" setting in Expressway is supposed to function with regards to interworking?  The description says "It also defines the minimum bandwidth to use on SIP to H.323 interworked calls."  But from my testing it does the opposite.  The default is 384, so my interworked calls only connect at 384.  If I raise that number to 10000, then the calls go through at the originally requested bit rate.  I'm confused.

Thanks,  Mike

7 Replies 7

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

According to the help text for that setting in regards to interworking, it says:

It also defines the minimum bandwidth to use on SIP to H.323 interworked calls.

So for interworked calls, whatever bandwidth you have here will be the absolute minimum allowed if no bandwidth was specified when the call was placed.

Right..... that's exactly what I posted. 

Okay, reading your post again, I think I understand what's going on.  I thought when you first said you changed it to "10000", that it was on the endpoint and not the bandwidth setting of the Expressway.

Do you have a copy of a call in your history that shows the bandwidth that was requested and allocated, as well as the route that was used?

Have you checked all your subzones, especially the traversal subzone and make sure there is no bandwidth settings in place there that might interfere?

For my VCS, the bandwidth setting is still it's default at 384, and we've never had any issues with it downspeeding interworked calls for the most part, even non-interworked calls.  The one time we've had issues where a call got allocated less bandwidth was when there was a misconfiguration of a subzone.

The traversal subzone has no bw restrictions, and I have no pipes configured on any of the links.  I have a VCS C/E pair as well with the default bw set at 384 and it doesn't behave this way.  I'll dig up the info from the call history.

hello Patrick,

I am having video issues with my phone and cisco 8945 phone.sometimes ,the video will not show.If i change the bandwidth  in the CUCM,it wil start working.After one day,it will stop showing.see attached the call details of expressway seris.

Also,can cme users make use of telepresence conductor and telepresence as their conference bridges.? cme users can join the Rendezvouz conference but their video will be disabled after some minutes?

Your call is being connected as an audio only call, most likely because the configured bandwidth is so low, I'd check and make sure that nothing is changing the bandwidth within CUCM after you increase it.

Type: Audio
Bandwidth:
Requested 310 kbps
Allocated 8 kbps

Hello pat,

Thanks for the response. I have checked the cucm but the bandwidth configuration remains unaltered. What can possibly change the bandwidth?.