cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

TMS Version: 15.3.0 - SQL Query

farazchakkungal
Level 1
Level 1
Hi All, We have a TMS system 15.3.0. No issue right now on our TMS application. However On our TMS application servers, we can see 2 SQL services (attached the screenshot) 1. SQL Server Agent (SQLTMS) and 2. SQL Server (SQLTMS). Can anyone help me to understand this services. what is the function of this services? is it required? Cheers FC
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
SQL Server is the database service.
SQL Server Agent executes jobs, monitors SQL Server, fires alerts, and allows automation of some administrative tasks.
Both services are required, or else the SQL database won't function, for every database on the SQL server, you'll have an SQL Server and SQL Server Agent for each.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
SQL Server is the database service.
SQL Server Agent executes jobs, monitors SQL Server, fires alerts, and allows automation of some administrative tasks.
Both services are required, or else the SQL database won't function, for every database on the SQL server, you'll have an SQL Server and SQL Server Agent for each.

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for your prompt response. I can see that the service SQL server Agent (SQLTMS) is in disabled state. I can confirm that there are no issues with the TMS system as of now. Do we still need to start this service or continue to be on disabled status. Please advise.

SQL Server Agent is set to disabled by default, and is okay to leave it that way, I've never enabled it for anything myself.

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for the info.

Are these SQL services in our TMS application server still relevant even if our TMS SQL Database is on a separate/dedicated server?

We actually do not know the default setup for these SQL services reason why we seek your assistance to verify

Earlier versions of TMS installed SQL server on the same server as TMS, which is probably the reason you're seeing these services.  The local SQL server won't affect anything if you have the TMS database on an external SQL server, it only matters if you want to host the TMS database on the same server as TMS.