Views
Helpful
Replies

Funday Friday: AI in AO

yawming
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

tennisbot.jpg

The AO (Australian Open) is reaching its final this weekend. Is AI 'playing'? Yes, it has played a role all the way to the final.

What I've read in the news is that generative AI technologies are being used for fan engagement, player performance analysis, and digital content creation. It seems they can deeply immerse the audience in the game. However, I believe players could also benefit from it now or in the future if they can access the play's performance analysis, similar to how IBM's AI can perform in-game and post-match analyses. This could pinpoint the players' strengths and weaknesses.

There are many tennis robots that can serve (feed) the ball to the player for practice. If we don’t have it yet, I believe that pretty soon, an AI-powered tennis robot will be available with programmability that can simulate your opponent's serve or target the player's weaknesses during practice.

There will be many AI-powered tools and gadgets that can help players improve their game. For example, a racket with built-in sensors can connect to a player’s phone to provide dynamic feedback on performance. How about 'smart' dampeners? Dampeners are used to reduce vibration in the racket, and the 'smart ones' can also collect data on a player’s strokes, speed, accuracy, and sweet spot vibrations. They can also be programmed to track stats during a game. I don’t think they will be allowed in competition, but they can be used to enhance your practice sessions.

You may say that AI power could be a plus, but it's not the only ingredient necessary for victory. That's correct; to win the game, besides technique, elements like experience, endurance, and mental health are crucial—these distinctly human attributes cannot be replaced by AI. But surprisingly, AI can actually help improve some of these aspects too.

Professional sports players are often victims of cyberbullying and harassment. With more athletes raising concerns about mental health in the sport, there is now new AI-driven software. Players can integrate it with their social media accounts to filter out abusive comments and block abusive remarks. In this way, their mental health can be protected from cyberbullying and harassment.

The AO may just open a small window for AI, and from the view of this window, we hope to see that AI can help more athletes in all fields in many positive ways.

0 Replies 0