cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUC guest, ESXi host and phones IPs subnet(s)

leam2
Level 1
Level 1

Hello.

I am using:
- IP subnet 192.168.2.0/24 for IP phones (model Cisco 8821),
- IP subnet 192.168.1.0/24 for all the other machines (computers, printers...).

I am using Cisco Unity Connection (with CUCME).
Cisco Unity Connection runs as a VM inside a Vmware ESXi host.

For now, the IPs attribution is as follows:
- phone 1: 192.168.2.3
- phone 2: 192.168.2.4
- Vmware ESXi host: 192.168.1.6
- Cisco Unity Connection VM: 192.168.1.7

I am having issues (from debug ccsip errors):

Jun 29 18:27:18.034: //1407/1FDFCAC48BAF/SIP/Error/sipSPICreateOutboundStreams:
 Failed to get source addres for IPv4 stream
Jun 29 18:27:18.034: //1407/1FDFCAC48BAF/SIP/Error/sipSPIUpdateSrcSdpFixedPart:
 main stream, No DNS involved
Jun 29 18:27:18.034: //1407/1FDFCAC48BAF/SIP/Error/sipSPIUpdateSrcSdpFixedPart:
  resolve_sig_ip_address_to_bind failed

So I am wondering if:
- Cisco Unity Connection VM should have an IP on the same subnet as the phones, for example 192.168.2.7 ;
- Vmware ESXi host should have an IP on the same subnet as the phones, for example 192.168.2.6.

Both of them, none of them, one of them?

Thank you for helping me.

Best regards.

4 Replies 4

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Your CUC server can be on any network you want, typically it's best practice to have dedicated network for voice servers. In any case you just need to ensure you properly extend the network to the ESXi and assign correct network to your virtual machine. If your network is configured as trunk you need to specify proper VLAN on the vSwitch in ESXi. If your network on the other side is just access port, you don't need to define any VLANs.

Hello,
Thank you for your answer.

@Chris Deren wrote:

Your CUC server can be on any network you want, typically it's best practice to have dedicated network for voice servers.

So, are you saying that I should give "Cisco Unity Connection VM" an IP like 192.168.2.7 on the same subnet as the IP phones (192.168.2.0/24)?

@Chris Deren wrote:

In any case you just need to ensure you properly extend the network to the ESXi

Does it mean I should also put the ESXi host on the same network as the IP phones, that is to say give it for example the IP 192.168.2.6 which is on the same subnet as the IP phones (192.168.2.0/24)?

@Chris Deren wrote:

If your network is configured as trunk you need to specify proper VLAN on the vSwitch in ESXi. If your network on the other side is just access port, you don't need to define any VLANs.

I have VLAN 100 for phones.
And VLAN native for other machines (computers, printers...)
Best regards.

Hi,

Is the CUCME router the device which does the routing between these subnets? If so, please share the router config.

Can you at least ping Cisco Unity Connection from phones subnet?

Thank you,

Mikolaj

**** PLEASE RATE IF USEFUL ****

@leam2 wrote:

Hello,
Thank you for your answer.

@Chris Deren wrote:

Your CUC server can be on any network you want, typically it's best practice to have dedicated network for voice servers.

So, are you saying that I should give "Cisco Unity Connection VM" an IP like 192.168.2.7 on the same subnet as the IP phones (192.168.2.0/24)?

>> That's fine

@Chris Deren wrote:

In any case you just need to ensure you properly extend the network to the ESXi

Does it mean I should also put the ESXi host on the same network as the IP phones, that is to say give it for example the IP 192.168.2.6 which is on the same subnet as the IP phones (192.168.2.0/24)?

>> No, what it means is that ESXi networking needs to be properly configured to allow proper communication, you can simply add NIC(s) to specific VLAN on switch side and boil vSwitch on ESXi using that NIC without defining any VLAN tagging on it

@Chris Deren wrote:

If your network is configured as trunk you need to specify proper VLAN on the vSwitch in ESXi. If your network on the other side is just access port, you don't need to define any VLANs.

>> If you are putting everyone on single network on ESXi then you do not need to trunk anything

I have VLAN 100 for phones.
And VLAN native for other machines (computers, printers...)
Best regards.