cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM 9.1 device pack question

Timothy Burns
Level 1
Level 1

I went to install a 7811 and found out that this was not a supported device.

However we have other 78xx(7821,7841,7861) phones in our 9.1 call manager environment.

Do I really need to install a device pack just for this one phone? Could I just install the firmware for the 7811?

If so, Just looking to gauge how much downtime we are looking at. We have 1 pub and 1sub. The plane is to

- export bat file on pub

- install device pack on pub

- import the recently exported bat file

- reboot pub

- install device pack on sub

- reboot sub

I assume phones should migrate back to pub without rebooting as I put the old firmware versions back in. I have also though to disabling TFTP service on both pub/sub to make sure the phones don't grab the new firmware.

Thanks

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Jitender Bhandari
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Timothy,

If you don't see 7811 in the drop down list when you are trying to add device, it means the existing CUCM you are running does not have capability to support 7811 device. Which in turn means you would have to install a device pack just installing firmware would not do any good. I am assuming you are running CUCM version 9.1.2.X, if so you can download and install the latest version of device pack 9.1(2.17151) from the link below.

https://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=284510097&flowid=77894&softwareid=282074299&release=9.1(2.17151)&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=&reltype=latest

As a standard process device pack need to be installed on all server starting from PUB and you can choose any order with SUB. Once the device pack has been installed on all server, again starting from PUB and any order for SUB, refer to release notes for detail.

http://www.cisco.com/web/software/282074299/137891/cmterm-devicepack9.1.2_17151-1_Release_Notes.pdf

There is not BAT export or any other process required to enable support for 7811 other then above steps.

(Rate if it helps)

JB

View solution in original post

Hi Timothy,

So the moment you apply the device pack it would update device default field. But it would not puss the firmware to phone till the time a phone reboots as firmware upgrade is a pull process and not push. Do below if you dont want to the firmware to upgrade.

1) before installing any device pack for to "Device: -> "Device Settings" -> Device Defaults, copy all the Load Information for the phone model you have on notepad. for example my lab had SIP42.9-4-2SR2-2S for SIP 7962 phone model.

2) Apply the device pack on you PUB and all SUB servers. Do not restart any phone and do not restart the servers.

3) Replace the Load Information for the phone model you have copied in step 1. Now you can go for cluster reboot and it would not upgrade any devices.

If you do above your firmware would stay at the version they are.

(Rate if it helps)

JB

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

Jitender Bhandari
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Timothy,

If you don't see 7811 in the drop down list when you are trying to add device, it means the existing CUCM you are running does not have capability to support 7811 device. Which in turn means you would have to install a device pack just installing firmware would not do any good. I am assuming you are running CUCM version 9.1.2.X, if so you can download and install the latest version of device pack 9.1(2.17151) from the link below.

https://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=284510097&flowid=77894&softwareid=282074299&release=9.1(2.17151)&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=&reltype=latest

As a standard process device pack need to be installed on all server starting from PUB and you can choose any order with SUB. Once the device pack has been installed on all server, again starting from PUB and any order for SUB, refer to release notes for detail.

http://www.cisco.com/web/software/282074299/137891/cmterm-devicepack9.1.2_17151-1_Release_Notes.pdf

There is not BAT export or any other process required to enable support for 7811 other then above steps.

(Rate if it helps)

JB

Thanks for the reply an confirmation.

Just to have an idea, what kind of downtime should I be expecting assuming I put back the firmware versions for the phones so that they do not need to restart?

Thanks

Hi Timothy,

So the moment you apply the device pack it would update device default field. But it would not puss the firmware to phone till the time a phone reboots as firmware upgrade is a pull process and not push. Do below if you dont want to the firmware to upgrade.

1) before installing any device pack for to "Device: -> "Device Settings" -> Device Defaults, copy all the Load Information for the phone model you have on notepad. for example my lab had SIP42.9-4-2SR2-2S for SIP 7962 phone model.

2) Apply the device pack on you PUB and all SUB servers. Do not restart any phone and do not restart the servers.

3) Replace the Load Information for the phone model you have copied in step 1. Now you can go for cluster reboot and it would not upgrade any devices.

If you do above your firmware would stay at the version they are.

(Rate if it helps)

JB

Hi Timothy,

Did above help?

JB

JB,

Yes this helped. One answer I have not been to clear on is actual downtime. My assumption is that following the steps users should not experience any downtime. Is my assumption correct?

- install file on both pub/sub

- go to software defaults and reassign original firmware for phones

- restart pub, then wait

- restart sub

Hi Timothy,

You are absolutely right about this, Just one more thing, it depends where your phones as registered. Most of the time people would like their phones to be registered with SUB. So rebooting PUB is normally a safer option. When you reboot your PUB before rebooting your SUB because when you reboot your server it takes sometime for all the services to settle, specially CCM service as when it boots it creates a database in RAM which is called IMDB ( In memory database) which is used for call routing purpose. So give it 5 min extra for it to settle and then reboot your SUB.

(Rate if it helps)

JB

JB,

Thanks again for you assistance. I proceeded as discussed and the install went well with very minimal downtime if any.

The primary for our phones is the PUB. 

As a test, I created an ACL for my phone blocking access to the PUB and was able to see it re-register with the SUB(this is where the minimal downtime was for the registration process). After removing the ACL my phone automatically switched back to the PUB seamlessly.

I also tested the same process while on a live call, just to see what would happen. I made a test call reinserted the ACL and the call stayed active while giving the message that UCM was no longer active. Once I hung up the call the phone registered with the SUB. Just thought it was interesting.

All in all a success.

Thanks

Hi Timothy,

You did great while testing with ACL first, just to be on safer side.

Having been said that if you PUB is the primary server for registration for all phones, that's a bad design. I would strongly recommend you make SUB as the primary registration server by moving the SUB above PUB in CM group configuration.

Reason i say above is right now you SUB is doing nothing, While your PUB as to do a lot of database activity that your SUB cannot. So in an ideal design SUB should be the call processing server and PUB should be the fallback in case SUB goes down, as PUB anyways is doing lots of database \ replication etc. work thar SUB dont.

(Rate if it helps)

JB

JB,

Thanks for the follow up. I mean to ask that design question. This was setup before I started at this location, so I am not sure as to why this was configured this way. But, I will plan to make this design change. Thanks again for the advice.

Happy to help,

JB

opeyemityusuf
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Team

I just installed a 8845 IP PHONE but i cannot see the phone in my list of phones. I am currently running CUCM Version System version: 9.1.2.12900-11. I need the device pack for version 9. Kindly help me with it if you have please.

my email is opeyemityusuf@gmail.com

Best regards

Were you able to get a device pack for the 8800 series phones for version 9.1.2?  I need to download a copy but cannot locate is.

9.x is EOS/EOL and all the related downloads have been removed

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/unified-communications/unified-communications-manager-callmanager/eos-eol-notice-c51-735216.html

Your only chance would be to reach out to your SE and see if maybe he can help.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Were you able to get a device pack for the 8800 series phones for version 9.1.2?  I need to download a copy but cannot locate it.