Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM integration with Lync for IM/Presence

gonzalo-castro
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I would appreciate very much your help with these questions regarding CUCM integration with  Lync JUST For IM and presence.

The customer asks for and IP Solution  but is a MUST to use the Presence and IM He has today with Lync, fortunately the DON'T want telephony with Lync. (the solution is for 7000 end points, 750 sites, switching, VC, Webex EE)

questions are:

1) what licensing do I need to use in my design?

2) Should I use Cisco Presence server? and /or Licensing?

3) Should I use Jaber for every one? Even though we have to use the Lync presence and IM services?

4) Using Lync Presence can we use click to call? What do I need in terms of Licensing and Hardware?

5) Can we use click to webex from Lync Presence window?

Thank you very much for all your answers,

Gonzalo Catsro

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There are couple of ways to support CUCM integration to Lync:

1. CUCILync - client based integration where no CUPS server is needed, you continue using Lync for presence and IM and CUCILync client publishes the phone presence to Lync so people can see the status of the phone. You get this with CUWL standard licensing as it is softphone license

2. Remote Phone Contorl (RCC) where you integration CUPS server with Lync server, there is many caveats with it and neither side really recommends it.

Either solution provides less then desired outcome and in my experience customers are very disappointed with any CUCM to MSFT integration. My recommendation would be to look to displace Lync with Jabber if that is an option here. I will not recommend displacing Cisco with Lync at the solution is in my opinion not ready for enterprise level customer requiring all kinds of PBX feature where Lync really lacks.

HTH,

Chris

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There are couple of ways to support CUCM integration to Lync:

1. CUCILync - client based integration where no CUPS server is needed, you continue using Lync for presence and IM and CUCILync client publishes the phone presence to Lync so people can see the status of the phone. You get this with CUWL standard licensing as it is softphone license

2. Remote Phone Contorl (RCC) where you integration CUPS server with Lync server, there is many caveats with it and neither side really recommends it.

Either solution provides less then desired outcome and in my experience customers are very disappointed with any CUCM to MSFT integration. My recommendation would be to look to displace Lync with Jabber if that is an option here. I will not recommend displacing Cisco with Lync at the solution is in my opinion not ready for enterprise level customer requiring all kinds of PBX feature where Lync really lacks.

HTH,

Chris

Chris thank you very much,

So I understand we don't need CUP licenses neither, is that correct?

could you please tellme about Click to call from Microsoft Presence? and Click to Webex options?

thankyou

Regards,

GCA

I agree with Chris.

If you try to to use Lync C2C via CUCI-Lync or RCC, the end user experience is not as clean as if you use just Jabber. Jabber uses same Click to X and Presence API's in Msft Office as Lync but Jabber also delivers enterprise quality voice & HD video. With free Jabber all users get IM/P and can be inexpensivley upgraded to full voice & video. Plus Jabber works on PC, Mac, Android, iPhone, iPad and Blackberry.

RCC is complex and means building a Lync PBX in parallel to CUCM, a very difficult option to manage and trouble-shoot.

Regards,

Ted

rsobti
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Team,

Has anything changed in last 3 years on this topic of CUCM integration with Lync for IM/Presence, with Lync server 2013 and CUCM 10.5?

Nothing major, you still can do intra and/or inter domain federation, not sure what else you would need? Any specific?