cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM License Rehost

rworrell987
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all, I've searched for this topic but have not yet found it, so I appreciate any help. Here's the run-down:

I changed the NTP server for my CUCM (it was spamming the error log). I didn't set up the system and didn't know VMWare licensing was the way it is, so of course my license went into 30day grace mode. I have gotten a license file sent to me but when I try to upload it, it's telling me that it's the same license file we already have and I can't get it in place. What am I missing? I'm talking back and forth with the license person who got me the license, but I'm hoping I didn't ask for the wrong thing. Any help would be appreciated, I was not the initial person who was going to be taking care of this system but now it's in my lap! I'm planning to use this experience to work towards getting some certs, but I'm still a beginner.

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi there,

Just to add a note to the great tips from my friends Terry & Aman (+5 each!)

As Terry nicely noted pass along this Bug ID to the TAC engineer (note the number of Support cases = 210);

CLI file delete license doesn't remove DB entries in licenseinfo
CSCtc59039

Symptom:
The DB entries are not removed after removing the license file via cli command 
file delete license

Conditions:
This problem happens when there is only a license file uploaded in the server 
and user removes the license file

Workaround:
user will need to remove the corresponding DB entries in licenseinfo table. 
For performing this, TAC will need to be contacted.

Note CUP will also document this issue and declare CUP doesn't support valid 
license removal through the CLI command. The only time that user needs to 
remove the license file is a publisher rehost is performed and the original 
license file becomes invalid. users will need to upload a new license file, 
use this cli command to remove the invalid license file, then restart license 
manager.

Further Problem Description:
This problem was only introduced in Version 8.5. Older versions are not affected by this bug. For all versions License Manager must be restarted after any changes to the file system for the database to be updated.

Last Modified:
Feb 25,2015
Fixed
Severity:
3 Moderate
Product:
Cisco Unified Communications Manager (CallManager)
Support Cases:

Cheers!

Rob 

Known Affected Releases:
(3)
8.5(1)
8.6(1)

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15

Terry Cheema
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

1) First of all if your licensing has gone in to Demo mode because of NTP change, you need a license rehost.

2) licensing@cisco.com (Cisco GLO team) is the one you should be emailing (if you are not already talking to them)

Give them your new MAC and any information they request about your old system, they should be able to rehost and issue you a new file.

3) If after going through step 2 you are still having issues, work with them, they are the best resources to help you with all licensing related issues.

Let us know how you go.

-Terry

Please rate all helpful posts and mark the thread as answered if you have no other queries.

Yes I contacted the licensing team, it's one of their engineers I'm working with now. I will continue trying, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't messing up with the uploading part, I was sent the new license but cannot upload it. It's telling me that we already have it and won't load onto the server. Thanks for the reply, at least now I'm certain I have gotten in touch with the right team! I appreciate your response.

No worries mate - you are certainly on right track.

Regards to uploading file, (I am guessing you are on 8.X vesrion?) go to CUCM System>Licensing>License File Upload> Click upload license file>Browse to your file> open and upload. Just make sure you are downloading the new file in a different directory so that there are no chances of mixing with old file.

But other than that, that's pretty much it, if its giving error - GLo should be able to re-issue or sort the issue for you.

-Terry

Please rate all helpful posts

Yea, that's where I have been trying the upload, gives me an error though (attaching picture). I'm waiting on a response right now from the GLO engineer I'm working with.

*Edit* Also, yes the file is right on my computer and I do not have the old ones on here, do I need to place it in the VM for it to upload from there?

No you dont need the file on VM, it can be anywhere from where the CUCM can browse and upload. So you are good with that.

Ok - run the below command from CLI of your Pub:
file list license *

This will list all license files you have on your server already. Compare the name of the files with the new and see if it really matches. (you can also provide this output to the licensing guy)

Can you also post the exact version of your CUCM?

-Terry

Please rate all helpful posts

Sure:

Product Ver  : 8.5.1.10000-26
OS Ver       : 4.0.0.0-44

We are getting ready for an upgrade thankfully, we've got the Tomcat bug :(

I checked those licenses and they do match, is there something on Cisco's side they have to correct for the new License MAC to check out?

Hi,

can u download the existing license files from CUCM and then, delete from CUCM ?

file get license *

file delete license [the one which is already existing]

After these are deleted, upload the license file which has been provided by Cisco TAC after NTP has been changed.

regds,

aman

I had one of their engineers call me and we worked on it for about 2 hours, we did exactly that, but to no avail. He is going to have a new license file generated in the morning and hopefully that one will take! He was a great help, and so was this forum, thank you all. I'll update as soon as this issue is solved!

Thanks for the update. One more thing though you can try is to restart the Cisco License Manager service under serviceability>Network Service

Under platform services.

But this is bit weird reminds me of a BUG that I once encountered during the CUCM 8.5 migration had some issues with the license file upload after deleting the old files, I do not remember exactly the symptoms , but you have got someone good helping you out so it should be resolved soon hopefully.

-Terry

Hi there,

Just to add a note to the great tips from my friends Terry & Aman (+5 each!)

As Terry nicely noted pass along this Bug ID to the TAC engineer (note the number of Support cases = 210);

CLI file delete license doesn't remove DB entries in licenseinfo
CSCtc59039

Symptom:
The DB entries are not removed after removing the license file via cli command 
file delete license

Conditions:
This problem happens when there is only a license file uploaded in the server 
and user removes the license file

Workaround:
user will need to remove the corresponding DB entries in licenseinfo table. 
For performing this, TAC will need to be contacted.

Note CUP will also document this issue and declare CUP doesn't support valid 
license removal through the CLI command. The only time that user needs to 
remove the license file is a publisher rehost is performed and the original 
license file becomes invalid. users will need to upload a new license file, 
use this cli command to remove the invalid license file, then restart license 
manager.

Further Problem Description:
This problem was only introduced in Version 8.5. Older versions are not affected by this bug. For all versions License Manager must be restarted after any changes to the file system for the database to be updated.

Last Modified:
Feb 25,2015
Fixed
Severity:
3 Moderate
Product:
Cisco Unified Communications Manager (CallManager)
Support Cases:

Cheers!

Rob 

Known Affected Releases:
(3)
8.5(1)
8.6(1)

[+5] to you for sharing more info.

regds,

aman

Hi ,

Is the issue resolved by TAC?

regds,

aman

Good one Rob my friend - that was it! (+5)

-Terry

Turns out part of the problem was that after removing licenses the engineer did not have me reboot the CUCM. We had a system down the next morning until we did so, however we have worked out the licensing problems! I'm very ready to get our upgrade rolling, we're moving on to 10.x and hopefully much greener (and less buggy) pastures. This forum has been great, I appreciate all of the replies and apologize for not posting a follow up sooner. Thanks for all of the insight!