cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cucm version to put on esxi host version 8.0

sopjjjjj
Level 1
Level 1

I have had no luck installing Cucm version 8.6,11.5,or 12.5 on my esxi host which is 8.0. 

16 Replies 16

Before you install CUCM on Vmware, you must check the compatibility. use below links to verify the vmware compatibility.

I assume you are doing this for lab purpose. CUCM 8 has reached EOL long back. What error and in which step installation fails ?

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/uc_system/virtualization/virtualization-cisco-unified-communications-manager.html

Response Signature

Ya I have checked compatibility and changed it within the host when making the VMs. The farthest I have gotten it to go is past the I initial cucm install settings and then I go to install and a critical error happens and it says it has to.halt the process.

Have you set NTP ? monitor on which step it fails. collect the installation  logs and it gives more information.

Response Signature

I had tried a few ntp addresses I will try again tomorrow. And post the logs to see if they give any insight. Thanks 

Those NTP servers are reachable or not ? Could you collect the installation logs and share with us.

Response Signature

I got NTP to work fine I think Roger was correct that ESXI 8.0 just doesn't support it at all.

If I understand you correctly you’re trying to set the VM hardware compatibility to something that would equal to pre v8? If so it doesn’t matter if you set the VM hardware compatibility on the VM to pre 8 as the underlying version of ESXi is not yet supported on any version of CM and it is definitely not supported on any of the versions that you are trying to use. If it was to work your best bet would be with version 14, but it doesn’t either have stated support for version 8 of ESXi. The newest supported version of ESXi is currently version 7 U1 or above, limited to in the same major version,

Response Signature

You would be correct in the scenario. Any recommendations on how to get around this.

I am trying to nest a esxi version 7. will this work?

As outlined in the document shared by @Nithin Eluvathingal these versions of CM supports v7 of ESXi.

image.png

Response Signature

I believe I have gotten it to work with the nested VM that runs ESXI 7.0. Thanks 

Out of curiosity what is a nested VM?

Response Signature

A nested VM or Virtual Machine is when you put an ESXI host on a VM instance rather than on a separate server. In my case, I have ESXI 8.0 on my servers and I installed a VM with ESXi host 7.0. I then add a VM to the ESXI host 7.0 so it is "CUCM VM" inside "ESXI Host 7.0 VM" on the physical ESXI host 8.0.

csrlima
Level 3
Level 3

Hi team, so, anyone knows if CUCM 12.5,14 or 15 is or is not suported by esxi 8? 

No released version of CM supports ESXi 8 yet. Apart from that CM v15 is not released yet.

Response Signature