cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DID assignment VoIP regulations

Annie S.
Level 1
Level 1

I am having difficulty finding documentation on the legality of assigning DID's from another country to agents/employees in a different country. Can any of you point me in the direction of documentation? I have looked at VoIP regulations for the countries I'm interested in but they seem geared more towards VoIP providers and selling a number out of country. 

Specifically I want to know if it is legal or not legal to assign a US or UK based +e164 number to an agent/employee physically located in Germany. 

Thanks!

18 Replies 18

Thanks for responding Deji. So for your organisation that do this, the call from the German Employees use the local German ISP for France, Sweden calls ?

The CLID thing you mentioned is legit but I believe Annie is also trying to get Jabber calls from Germany to US/UK bypassing the ISP in Germany which is where the legality is coming into picture.

Nipun, 

You are correct - this is more than just CLI, this is the call routing piece. 

It all depends on the service provider. Basically we buy DDIs from my ITSP ( these are called presence numbers). These DDIs are allowed to be carried on any of our SIP trunks regardless of the location. Hence why users in any region can use any CLI as long as it is part of the DDI allocated by my service provider.

This setup also allows us to fail calls over to any region and CLI will still be presented. EG If my gateway in EMEA fails, we reroute all the EMEA traffic out the CUBE in the US and all my EMEA CLI are allowed out the US trunk.

Please rate all useful posts

I feel like this is different - I'm not routing calls from a different SIP trunk as a fail over solution. I am assigning a US DID +1206.. via the US SIP trunk, into Germany. We have no local German SIP trunk, there is no local German CID.

All inbound and outbound calls for Agent X who is physically located in Germany, will be via a +1206 number and calls will traverse inbound and outbound via US SIP trunk.