Helpful
Replies

Endpoint Troubleshooting

Bob Greer
Level 4
Level 4

Hi there,

Thanks for reading.

I'm looking to see how to set my own extension to match that of a remote user that's having issues.  What key fields in CUCM 10.5 do I need to adjust so that my deskphone or jabber matches theirs so I can first-hand verify their process and begin troubleshooting?

Thanks again!

Bob

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

If you want to grab the line of someone else for testing purposes you can simply "share" their line with your phone.

This is a very simple configuration provided you have a free line space on your deskphone:

1. Note the "test" lines directory number and partition
  2. Find your phone in CUCM (Device > Phone)
  3. In the top left hand corner of the "Phone Configuration" screen select the "Add a new DN" button.
  4. Punch in the directory number of the test line
  5. Select the correct partition from the list, as soon as you click somewhere else on the page (example the description field), the page will update with the information of the test DN.
  6. Scroll down to the line appearance section and modify the following fields to match your test line:
    • Display (Caller ID)
    • ASCII Display (Caller ID)
    • Line Text Label
    • External Phone Number Mask
  7. Save/Apply the config

The settings that matter the most would be the bolded ones above.

After completing these steps you should have a usable test line that mimics your problem user. Keep in mind there are several settings at the device level which could also be causing the problem on your issue user line such as: Device Pool, Device CSS, Location, etc...

Additionally, remember that their line is now shared with your phone, so when you take it off hook, their line will light up (among all of the other shared line features).

If you would like to mimic the device level settings on another users phone, I would suggest just creating a CIPC for testing. That way you don't have to mess with your own desk phone to mimic the device level settings (although you certainly can).

Please let us know if this helps!

View solution in original post

Bob,

If you want to copy 1to1 setup then you can just use SuperCopy to copy exact phone setup, and then you just swap the MAC on your lab phone you will have exact configuration of the users phones - this is good if the issue is Phone Type specific.

For all the "calling" good place to start is to use DNA:

https://<CUCMIP>/dna

Then choose Analisys and Users Phone, and Extension the use and the  dial, and this will throw call path information.

This is not always 100% correct cause in some case CCM IMBD is different than information that DNA is using but in 99% cause this will show how the call path looks like.

Leszek

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Jitender Bhandari
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Bob,

This a very generic question, if you can be more specific we would be able to help you in a better way.

JB

Hi Jitender,

Thanks for writing (a week ago!)

I don’t have a current issue; I just want to have an additional testing tool for future issues. I’ve seen engineers set their deskphones to mimic the ‘complaining’ endpoint and it seems useful procedure.

If you want to grab the line of someone else for testing purposes you can simply "share" their line with your phone.

This is a very simple configuration provided you have a free line space on your deskphone:

1. Note the "test" lines directory number and partition
  2. Find your phone in CUCM (Device > Phone)
  3. In the top left hand corner of the "Phone Configuration" screen select the "Add a new DN" button.
  4. Punch in the directory number of the test line
  5. Select the correct partition from the list, as soon as you click somewhere else on the page (example the description field), the page will update with the information of the test DN.
  6. Scroll down to the line appearance section and modify the following fields to match your test line:
    • Display (Caller ID)
    • ASCII Display (Caller ID)
    • Line Text Label
    • External Phone Number Mask
  7. Save/Apply the config

The settings that matter the most would be the bolded ones above.

After completing these steps you should have a usable test line that mimics your problem user. Keep in mind there are several settings at the device level which could also be causing the problem on your issue user line such as: Device Pool, Device CSS, Location, etc...

Additionally, remember that their line is now shared with your phone, so when you take it off hook, their line will light up (among all of the other shared line features).

If you would like to mimic the device level settings on another users phone, I would suggest just creating a CIPC for testing. That way you don't have to mess with your own desk phone to mimic the device level settings (although you certainly can).

Please let us know if this helps!

Thank you both!  This is exactly what I was looking for!

Bob,

If you want to copy 1to1 setup then you can just use SuperCopy to copy exact phone setup, and then you just swap the MAC on your lab phone you will have exact configuration of the users phones - this is good if the issue is Phone Type specific.

For all the "calling" good place to start is to use DNA:

https://<CUCMIP>/dna

Then choose Analisys and Users Phone, and Extension the use and the  dial, and this will throw call path information.

This is not always 100% correct cause in some case CCM IMBD is different than information that DNA is using but in 99% cause this will show how the call path looks like.

Leszek