cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to add a DNS SVR Record in Cisco Jabber on a Linux Server?

ranishemer
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I'm Super Noob on CCNA/P Collaboration (CCNA Voice and Video), in fact it isn't my area of experience or knowledge yet but i will get there eventually..

I'm still studing for my CCNA R/S Certification i recently finish CCNA 4 R/S Course from Cisco Networking Academy (netacad) and from my Educational Institution.

Unfortunately i started a new job today and my Boss assign me a tremendous challenge, about "add a DNS SVR Record in Cisco Jabber "

I saw this video on How to configure Jabber for Windows that explains how to add a DNS SVR Record on Windows Server and i understood the process And it's kind of easy.

The thing is that we need to add to a Linux Server some DNS SVR Record, which i also don't have a lot domain or experience and knowledge  especially on Linux DNS Server. but willing to learn!

I need a tremendous help, of How I add DNS SVR Record on Linux DNS Server?

The company use Cisco Jabber and by logic they have a Cisco Unified Communications Manager.

The objective is simple the DNS servers have already some DNS SVR Records, we only need to add a couple more.

Hope that somebody help me and guide me.

I'm really be greatfull.

P.S: The Clients use Windows for Cisco Jabber but the Cisco Unified Communications Manager told me that it is a Linux Server

Note: I apologize for my English it isn't my native language.

2 Replies 2

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This really is a question for a linux forum, I'm sure you can find a lot of material on how to configure a DNS server on linux if you google it. Have you tried searching any material on the topic and comparing to what they already have??

And just for clarification, Jabber can also work with WebEx on the cloud, it's not only for CUCM/IM&P.

And, just to make sure, this is a separate Linux server (debian, ubuntu, etc.) where you're going to do this, right??

CUCM does run RHEL, but you have no access as root to configure it as a DNS.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Day 2

I'm sure you can find a lot of material on how to configure a DNS server on linux if you google it,

Thanks for the suggestion, and you have me and idea, i really appreciated

Have you tried searching any material on the topic and comparing to what they already have??

yes i did find merital in this youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdH50_zp4wc  it shows how to add records to the DNS Server but in Windows Server, and No i haven't compre of what i alredy have, since a new and on trail period i'm not gratted  any access yet i have to wait 90 days or ask permition or wait orders from my bosses. security is very strict bank type security of IT.

And, just to make sure, this is a separate Linux server (debian, ubuntu, etc.) where you're going to do this, right??

The DNS server is on a a cluster with load balancing and advance and in depth configurations of a USA client ISP, that ISP is client to the company which we offer some teleworking service for the company i'm working for. Right now I'm going to this on a lab virtual environment for testing. but the final solution should be on the DNS cluster.

But you have no access as root to configure it as a DNS

correct i don't have access, in fact the end user that open the ticket it send some screenshots whit nslookup with type=SVR and as the result of dose screenshot it show some warring something like:
"that the end user of that computer doesn't have root access but it shows some results of that SVR Record" i hope you understand what i mean.

The thing is this the end user have problems with Cisco Jabber it have to click many times reconnection or "try again" in sequential or something "chronic" clicking, if you understand me.. when that end user switches the DNS primary to the DNS secondary and the DNS Secondary as the DNS primary the connection works.

Today to the company visit us the God IT and Security Expert guy that configure dose server to my understanding..

He told me that the DNS Server doesn't need any additional configurations that it might be more a end user problem that a DNS Server configuration side.

That what i should do is from that end user is to "ipconfig /flushdns" run wireshark when the end user is using the Cisco Jabber App and in connecting state with the DNS primary and DNS Secondary and also connecting using the app make a packet capture and stop the wireshark, then "ipconfig /flushdns" switch the DNS primary to DNS secondary and then DNS secondary as the Primary, run wireshark to make packet capture and then send that information the the God of IT.

Which i'm going to do tomorrow.