cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

One Active Directory user wants two Unity MailBox

ajurado01
Level 1
Level 1

Here is the situation: I have one user in Active Directory that wants to have two different mail boxes and two phone extension.

Example: Ext (1): 1111 - he wants everyone in the company to call this extension and be able to leave messages.                                                                 Ext (2): 2222- He want to use this number for "outside calls/vendors" so they can leave messages

The purpose is for him not to have to sort through email/voice messages all morning.

I am currently running "Call Manager" and "Unity unified messaging" version 7.

We import the users from Active Directory to create their mailbox.

How can I work around this issue?

I hope this make sense. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

5 Replies 5

Ovais Iqbal
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Few questions.

- the purpose for this is to differentiate between two numbers?

- how will he pick up his voice mails? Through phone or outlook?

- I think that you can not have two mailboxes with the same AD same account.

- why not you configure a 2nd DN as 2222 on the same phone where 1111 is configured and configure alternate extension in unity for mailbox 1111?

Or otherwise create a 2nd I'd in AD and a new mailbox.

·         The purpose for this is to differentiate between two numbers? Yes, he wants to give one number to Vendors and the other number to co-workers
·         How will he pick up his voice mails? Through phone or outlook?Currently he is using both Email and Phone. He would not mind checking email from vendors/outside callers from a phone.
·         I think that you cannot have two mailboxes with the same AD same account.I think you are correct as well, but I am trying to get a solid answers or a work around.
·         Why not you configure a 2nd DN as 2222 on the same phone where 1111 is configured and configure alternate extension in unity for mailbox 1111?Yes, its ideal for him to have both numbers (1111 and 2222) on the same IP phone and that is not a problem, but how do I solve the mailbox issue?
I am trying to avoid creating a second ID (user name) in Active Directory as I can see more users will want the same options and I don't want to have duplicate names in the Active Directory for security purposes.

If your user is planning to have two separate places to hold voice mails from two different type of callers then you need to have two mailboxes, if his goal is to publish two separate numbers but he is fine with manual sorting then just go with two numbers pointing to the same mailbox (alternate extension configuration in UNITY).

Thanks

Ovais.

You are correct on this. I thought I ask before laying down the law. 

I guess I could setup rules in outlook to send any "Voice Message from Unknown (0003382891)" to a folder named "vendor"

since all other Unity notification messages are labeled with deapartment names "Voice Message from EMERGENCY LINE (5556)"

Thank you Ovais. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Alfredo

Yes this could be a good choice and that's why I asked earlier on how the user will pick up his messages but there is a catch if you create an outlook rule? If the voice mail is not in the inbox folder and moved to an other folder the MWI will have issues.