Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Phone firmware failed from 7.1 to 10.5

experts,

What happen in this scenario below:

-when we upgrade UCM form 7.1 to 10.5,  but the current phone firmware of UCM 7.1 is too old to get to default phone firmware of UCM 10.5

will the phone just register fine to UCM 10.5 with their old firmware and keep functioning?

tks,

K

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Atul Gaba
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

the phone should try to upgrade and fail if it cannot, then register fine with 10.x

-Atul

View solution in original post

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Karen,

This is something that I definitely wouldn't leave to chance and I always recommend upgrading the phone firmware to the desired 10.5 version before even starting the CUCM upgrade process. Just have a read of this thread to see why this is an important first step;

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/10747311/cucm-713-tftp-auth-fail

As you can see from reading the above thread, it's most likely that your 7945's are running a firmware that pre-dates version 8-5-2 and may get caught in an upgrade loop during the move to CUCM 10.5.2. This will add an unnecessary layer of frustration to an already complicated process and is completely preventable by upgrading the phone firmware as the first step of the migration.

This will be a two step process wherein you move to firmware 8-5-2 first and then onto the desired 9-4-x firmware that will be loaded as the Device Defaults in CUCM 10.5.2.

Take the time to do this first and I can guarantee you'll be glad you did.

Cheers!

Rob 

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Atul Gaba
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

the phone should try to upgrade and fail if it cannot, then register fine with 10.x

-Atul

I see, so what is the repercussion if they don't have firmware that compatible with new UCM 10.x ?

Aman Soi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

what is the phone firmware u are using and IP phone models with Call Manager 7.1?

regds,

aman

7945 with default of UCM 7.1.3 firmware

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Karen,

This is something that I definitely wouldn't leave to chance and I always recommend upgrading the phone firmware to the desired 10.5 version before even starting the CUCM upgrade process. Just have a read of this thread to see why this is an important first step;

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/10747311/cucm-713-tftp-auth-fail

As you can see from reading the above thread, it's most likely that your 7945's are running a firmware that pre-dates version 8-5-2 and may get caught in an upgrade loop during the move to CUCM 10.5.2. This will add an unnecessary layer of frustration to an already complicated process and is completely preventable by upgrading the phone firmware as the first step of the migration.

This will be a two step process wherein you move to firmware 8-5-2 first and then onto the desired 9-4-x firmware that will be loaded as the Device Defaults in CUCM 10.5.2.

Take the time to do this first and I can guarantee you'll be glad you did.

Cheers!

Rob