Views
Helpful
Replies

Phones getting registration issues.

seth.doyen
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Everyone!

I am looking for a little guidance here on what to do next.

I am using CUCM 12.0 and trying to add two new phones, both are getting a registration errors from the CM. I did some digging on what could be the cause.

Troubleshooting done:

-Did a factory reset on the phones

-Deleted the ITL files on the phones

-DBreplication is running fine

-Looked into the RTMT side and found that both phones are getting a status reason of "InitializationError"

-I did some research and found that some had restarted the TFTP services and a one documentation said to restart the CallManager services

Just wanted to see if there wasn't anything else I needed to do before restarting the TFTP services.

Thanks!

11 Replies 11

What do the Status Messages on the phone read? 

Did the phone get the right IP address and other network information, and also get the correct TFTP server from DHCP?

Do you have Enterprise phones? (Versus 3PCC version phones?)

Maren

Hey Maren! 

The phone is getting the right IP and other network information.

We are using a 8851 version phone.

seth.doyen
Level 1
Level 1

I do also notice that the firmware load on the phone (11.5.1) is not what is the load we have set in CUCM as the active load (14.0.1)

The phone won't download new firmware until it can connect to CUCM. What does the "Status Messages" page on the phone read?

Maren

Hey Maren!

Its just stuck on Registering

What does the Status Messages page on the phone read? -- On the phone, go to Settings > Admin Settings > Status Messages (I think that's the right path) and read what is there. Is it asking for XMLDefault.cnf.xml? Is it saying there is a timeout to TFTP?

Hey Maren!

I will take a look on the phone and let you know.

seth.doyen
Level 1
Level 1

Hey Maren!

It says Telephone service unavailable.

Thanks

"Telephone service unavailable" can be caused by a phone model mismatch between the phone and what is configured in CUCM. For instance, check to see if you accidentally chose the 8851NR phone type when creating the phones in CUCM. Or, did you accidentally purchase the 3PCC version of the phones (which won't register to CUCM natively)?

Maren

Hey Maren!

I did verify that the phone is configured with the right model. I did more digging and found that the phones were getting an InitializationError from RTMT. Looks like I might need to restart the Cisco CallManager service

Look at the phone firmware release notes for the default load for the 8851. You may not be able to upgrade directly from the version the phone is currently running to current default load. It should tell you that in the release notes. Failing that, what older versions of firmware do you have installed on your server for that model? Trying changing the phone load name on the phone device to the oldest version you have and see if it registers. If it does, you may need to baby step it up to the current version.