Views
Helpful
Replies

Poor call quality on PRI

tourless27
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Folks,

I have a situation where one of my remote locations on a PRI is experiencing very poor call quality.  It's not all the time but it is an issue.  I'm running a 2811 with an AIM module and 7912/7940/7960's - about 10 of them at best.  I've confirmed the devices on the subnet and voice and data traffic are segregated on separate vlans.  I can say this site had water damage about a year ago but the server closet is upstairs and was not affected, but the downstairs office area had to be completely redone, cabling and all.  To that end the construction company that did the rebuild also handled the cabling (about 6 or 8 runs).

Before I plan on taking a trip down and physically verifying the cabling myself, is there anything trace or debug wise that anyone can think to have me look at/test?  I'd like to know i ruled out everything before I think about looking for a needle in a haystack.

Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated, as always.

Thanks folks!

UPDATE:

On a hunch I looked at my config and noticed I'm configured for SIPv2 and I confirmed with my carrier that we are PRI.  I'm hoping that is the issue.  Now to ask how to change my config from SIPv2 to PRI?  Thanks!

1 Reply 1

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I haven't use PRI's for quite some time, but from my memory most of the issues I had with voice quality issues where to do with ISDN clocking.  Either mis-configured clocking or clocking slip.

Look for lines like the below, and make sure they are pointing at the PRI interface.  This router uses an E1.  Depending on what country you are in it might be a T1.

network-clock-participate wic 0 
network-clock-select 1 E1 0/0/0