Helpful
Replies

uc upgrade 9.1 to 10.5

balaji.babu1
Level 1
Level 1

hello team,

we are panning to upgrade customer platform from 9.1.1 to 10.5.x of below
component cucm,uc, attendant console, ios,uccx.my doubt is from where i canstart, which one i start upgrading first.please guide the phase of migration which wont be affected due to dependency.

currect ios :152-4.M5  need to upgrade to 15.3(3)M3 or 15.4(1)T1

if i upgarde  cucm to 10.5 then it is  not compatable with uccx 9.0? 

please guide me the  proper phase of migration ?

9 Replies 9

Aman Soi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

You need to do this during maintenance window.

a. You can start upgrade of Call Manager cluster to 10.5.x .Switch over to new version 10.5

b. Start CCX upgrade to 10.5 followed by Attendant Console.

c. Lastly, you can upgrade Unity Connection followed by Router IOS gateway 

Other way : you can upgrade first CUCM to 9.1.2 and then , upgrade CCX to 10.5(1)SU1.After this, u can upgrade Call Manager to 10.5.x .

Finally ,u can upgrade for Attendant Console and Unity Connection 

http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/Unified_CCX_Software_Compatibility_Matrix_for_10.5(1)_SU1

regds,

aman

Hi aman,

We wont get that much down time to upgrade all these componenst simultaneously, we have to do one by one on maintance days , if its manditory we can upgarde 2 components at a time,

if i upgrade cucm to 10.5 first  uccx wont be communicating it as per the below link

http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/Unified_CCX_Software_Compatibility_Matrix_for_9.0(2)_SU1.

Hi Balaji,

Any time you upgrade a application which has compatibility matrix associated with it you would run in similar situation. If you upgrade CUCM you will have to make sure you upgrade CCX to a compatible version as per below matrix.

http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/Compatibility_Matrix_for_Unified_CCX

Also if you upgrade CUCM you will have to take the TAPI Plugin and install it on Attendant console server.

Unity give little more flexibility on compatibility, Having been said above, you can do below.

Run the upgrade on CUCM and let it sit on inactive partition (DO NOT SWITCH VERSION).

Run the upgrade on CCX and let it sit on inactive partition (DO NOT SWITCH VERSION).

Run the upgrade on Unity and let it sit on inactive partition (DO NOT SWITCH VERSION).

I dont think you can do the same with Attendant console server.

Once all upgrade on all application server are done start switching version and hope for the best.

HTH

JB

Hi jitender,

i have planned like this,

upgrading uccx publisher by allowing uccx subscriber to handle calls(since 10.5 uccx will support 9.1 cucm as per  cisco doc (http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/Unified_CCX_Software_Compatibility_Matrix_for_10.5(1)

post upgrading pub uccx, switching the active call to pub uccx 10.5   and started upgrading  sub

uccx sub to 10.5, since uccx pub and sub should not be in different version for more time that might cause database replication issues that was i heard  and am not sure about it

after upgrading uccx and allowing the system to handle the calls till the next maintenance 

schedule .

in the next schedule ,upgrading cucm pub and sub like uccx and at the same time planned to migrate the attendance console from 9.1 enterprice  to 10.5 advaced  since there is no enterprise version in 10.5 and it has dependency as 10.5 advance support only 10.5 cucm only and allow the system to handle calls

after that during the next phase have a plan to upgrade unity.

is my plan is approachable or i need to re plan..guide me ?

reagrds

balaji

you need to have min. CUCM version 9.1(2) for UCCX 10.5(1)SU1 or 10.5(1) compatibility

If Call Manager version is 9.1.1 then, u need to upgrade CUCM first.

if u have CUCM  min. 9.1(2) then, plan mentioned by you is fine.

regds,

aman

hi aman,

i have the stanadlone ELM server in above call flow as well, so once i upgarde all the component to 10.5 with grace period , i have planned to upgarde the ELM to PLM software and i will rehost the 10.x license, am i going in the right path?

one more doubt in the cuac advanced document it is mentioned as it will support call manager form 7.x, but i read in some thread we need 10.5 cucm as cuac advanced addition will support 10.5 cucum only? if not i will plan the attendance console uogarde later along with unity or PLM?

Hi Balaji,

for the first query, you are correct.

Once upgraded successfully, u need to share the PLM request file along with licensing team for getting permanent licenses.

for CUAC advanced AC10.5.2  , I will follow the DOC which says it is supported  with CUCM from version 7.1(5) till 10.x

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/unified-communications/unified-attendant-consoles/118861-technote-cuac-00.html#anc8

regds,

aman

Hi aman,

As per the plan we upgraded CUCM to 10.5.2 successfully but once i upgrade cucm , CUEAC was not working and the ports are not registered. cisco TAC confirmed CUEAC 9.1.2 is not comptable with 10.5.2 cucm?

Then we upgrded CUEAC  to CUAC advanced ,as per the doument TAPi will be upgraded along the installation of advanced software, even i can see the TSP is upgraded however ports are unregistered 

TAC unistalled the TAPI from CUAC and downloaded the TAPI from cucm and installed and did come changes in the modem setting  ,then it is working ?not sure about the comtability?

You can see about the compatibility yourself in the AC documentation, it lists CUCM compatibility per AC option, and version.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate