Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity 7 Alternate Greeting - auto enabled

jedellerby
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have just migrated 1600 users via COBRAS from Unity 4.0.5 to Untiy 7.0 and I seem to have an issue whereby users complain their Alternate Greeting is enabled when they have not enabled it themselves.

Has anybody experienced this issue, anybody aware of a bug in this area?

Is there a way for me to check audit logs to see if this is getting set by an administrator (unlikely) or the end user? I assume this will be or could be enabled to be logged somewhere.

Thanks

Jed

6 Replies 6

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

COBRAS wouldn't be setting this on its own - if alternate greetings were not active on the system being backed up then they wouldn't be included in the backup at all (this helps compress space in the DB by not backing up empty greetings or transfer rules) - during restore it will then leave whatever you have in the template for alternate greetings alone UNLESS that user had an alternate greeting configured on the system being backed up.

check your templates - if the template you used for creating new users had an alternate greeting enabled this would result in the behavior you are describing.

you can also look into the backup with the Database viewer utility for COBRAS for a user and see if they have alternate greeting information in the backup.  My guess is it's missing (meaning the greeting was not active) and the template is the source of the problem - but that's just a guess.

The subscriber template has all greeting except standard enabled so I don't think that is the issue. One user also reported that his alternate got enabled some days after the migration, so was on the standard greeting prior to that.

Any ideas on an audit check of log files to see if anything changed?

Thanks for the pointers so far,

Jed

I assume you mean the greetings wer DISabled other than standard there.

So COBRAS was not involved then... when you mentioned it, it sounded like you thought COBRAS somehow turned all those alternate greetings on but that doesn't sound like it's the case if this started happening later.  COBRAS is often the first thing thrown under the bus when folks aren't sure what might of happened so I just assued...

sounds like someone did a BulkEdit operation or the like - there are admin reports that show changes made through the SA but I'd check the BulkEdit logs to see if anything pops up in there - this is typically found under the ComServer installation folder off C:\ under utilities - there's a log folder under each utility folder and BulkEdit will be in there.  Not necessarily the tool used but probably the most likely if it's been changed for a bunch of users.

I don't believe COBRAS was the issue, I included it as potentially useful background.

We are runinng Bulk Edit to update the Switch ID to point from one cluster to another CUCM cluster in batches of users as part of a migration process, but the users included in each migration run (from one cluster to the other) aren't the ones complaing of this issue. I can see that the alternate message gets updated for the users included in the Bulk Edit run, but again these aren't the users aren't seein the issue. The log file entries also doesn't say exactly what change is made, just that "Updating transfer rule: Alternate" and as I'm not changing the Alternate greeting then this doesn't mean much.

Jed

yeah, if you're updating the switch Id it has to touch the contact (transfer) rules since it's legal for those to be associated with different phone systes (though highly unusual).  If there's no note about updating the greeting rule for alternate for any of the logs then BulkEdit isn't likely your culprit.

IF there's nothing in the IIS logs (where the administration web inteterface does it's logging) that the admin reports pull from and BulkEdit isn't your guy then there's not a lot of good ways to run down who made this change or why - someone could, of course, had done direct DB edits (using SQL manager, the CLI or CUDLE among others) - Audio Text Manager could have been used (doubtful - it's a one-at-a-time type interface, too, just as the SA is). 

Unity doesn't have a full audit log at the SQL level (this was tried but it bogged MSSQL down way too much to have that level of table/row based log output) - Connection has something like this (done at the trigger/proc level) so you can back trace how a change was made (though not always who changed it) but so far as I know Unity has nothing this deep for root cause analysis of such changes.

I never got to the bottom of this and at the moment there are no new reports of issues with the Alternate Greeting so hopefully we won't see the issue again. Thanks for your detailed responses, it was still useful to know that there were no other avenues of investigation!

Thanks

Jed