cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

cisco c200 rackmount server questio

warquezho0612
Level 1
Level 1

I just want to know how to manage this c200 rack version of UCS? I have only experience the B-series and familiarize myself with it's needed hardware/software connections like

- FI

- I/O Modules

- vmware esxi, vcenter, vsphere

So is this c200 rackmount server functions the same as the blade server and still needs the Fabric Interconnect as well as the VMwares? Can anyone provide me a sample network topology?

7 Replies 7

Marwan ALshawi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

the UCS 200 rak moounted server

from the name it is a server with hgih hardware capability, managment interface access to give remote KVM like the B for example

but it is not managed by a fabricinterconnect, it is stad alone server, however with the new version of UCSM you can manage this server from the UCS B serise managment interface, but it is not extneded thorugh FI like the B

so in other words, it is a server that you can have VM on it using for example ESXi and have it standalone system or integrated with other servers, like Vcenter clustering

it has its own NICs and HBAs,

wish this help

if helpful Rate

Hi marwanshawi,

Couple of questions:

- I see that the C200 M2 can be used as a standalone server. I can also see that in the newer version of UCSM, this C200 M2 can be integrated to the FI? Am I right?

- I'm just confuse on you statement "however with the new version of UCSM you can manage this server from the  UCS B serise managment interface, but it is not extneded thorugh FI  like the B"

- Also from the link provided by zsafawi above, for the C200 M2 to be integrated to FI, we need another hardware like Cisco Nexus 2248-FEX. Can the C200 M2 be connected to FI without the Cisco 2248-FEX or it is a requirement?

- Lastly what is the benefit of integrating the C200 M2 to the FI?

Thanks

On the B-series, the managment and data plane are connected via the IOM to the FI. With C-series integration into UCSM, the managment plane goes from the C-Series Lan-On-Motherboard to the 2248 to the FI. The C-Series data plane goes from a supported CNA to the FI.

I have a quick and dirty write up regarding C-series integration with UCSM in the documents area https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-15034

If you look over the doc, you'll see that the only way to integrate C-series (C200M2 in your case) is with the 2248's.

Connecting a C200M2 only into a FI is not supported.

Integrating a C200M2 into UCSM provides you with the same capabilites of managment that you have with a B-series blade. Service Profile, etc.

i think it was me misunderstood the integration

per Csico Doco

Use the following procedure to connect the Cisco UCS C250 server to the Cisco UCS environment andpower it on.

Step 1

Install the server into your rack.

Step 2

Connect the management traffic paths

a.

Connect an RJ45 Ethernet cable between 1Gb port Eth1 or Eth2 on the rear panel of the server anda port on a fabric extender in Fabric A. You can use any port on the fabric extender.

b.

Connect an RJ45 Ethernet cable between 1Gb port Eth3 or Eth4 on the rear panel of the server anda port on a fabric extender in Fabric B. You can use any port on the fabric extender.

c.

Connect a 10 Gb SFP cable between fabric extender A and a port on fabric interconnect A. You canuse any port on fabric interconnect A, but the port must be enabled for server traffic.

d.

Connect a 10 Gb SFP cable between fabric extender B and a port on fabric interconnect B. You canuse any port on fabric interconnect B, but the port must be enabled for server traffic

Regards,

- Im just wondering, why we still need 2248-FEX for management connection to the FI and not directly plug to the FI?

- Also with c200 series integrated to the UCSM, from Fabric Interconnect the Network traffic goes to one uplink port and Storage traffic to Fiber Channel uplink port. How about if I will not integrate c200 series to UCSM? How is the connection to Network/Storage traffic if I only have 2 CNA port? Do I need Nexus 5000 with this so nexus will handle both Network/Storage traffic?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card