Views
Helpful
Replies

Connect External USB Drive to CISCO B200 M3 Blade

suhagdesai1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Anyone tried with connecting ext USB drive to CISCO B200 M3 Blade. Could not seen USB port outside but as per architecture, these should be one internal port. If yes, how we can connect it online.

Regards,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The KVM dongle has a pair of USB ports (config guide says for keyboard/mouse)

The blade does have a small internal USB port http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/hw/blade-servers/B200M3.html.

Internal USB connector Cisco UCS-USBFLSH-S-4GB= is recommended, but if another USB drive will be used it must be no wider than .8 inches, and no more than 1.345 inches long in order to provide needed clearances to install or remove the USB drive.

There are also SD card slots on the left side of the blade towards the front.

Thanks,

Kirk

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The KVM dongle has a pair of USB ports (config guide says for keyboard/mouse)

The blade does have a small internal USB port http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/hw/blade-servers/B200M3.html.

Internal USB connector Cisco UCS-USBFLSH-S-4GB= is recommended, but if another USB drive will be used it must be no wider than .8 inches, and no more than 1.345 inches long in order to provide needed clearances to install or remove the USB drive.

There are also SD card slots on the left side of the blade towards the front.

Thanks,

Kirk

Thanks,

So if we connect USB drive with KVM Dongle, will it detect at OS level (mine is ESXi) ?

Depending on the exact model of usb drive, we have seen varied levels of success with the OS recognition and mounting. Again, keyboard/mouse, are the only supported items via usb ports on kvm dongle.

Thanks,

Kirk

Hi, I am want to connect a wireless USB adaptor to a Blade server to provide internet connectivity to my windows VM, hosted on this blade server. Apart from using the KVM cable, is there any other option available to plugin the adaptor? Thanks.

I have not seen anyone try to pass that kind of device up to a VM running on a blade.

The KVM dongle is the only option for USB accessory of that type.

There is an internal USB connection, but that only allows a very small USB thumb drive to fit.

Kirk...

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card