cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Failure to communicate with CIMC

eric.ahernandez
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Everyone, I recently got an UCS C240 M3 server, I was struggling to use the Remote KVM Feature so I tried to upgrade the CIMC firmware using the host upgrade utility file through the web client.

As it was in 5% downloading state I had some power problems (the server was powered off) so the upgrade didn't go through, so I power it back on and now I can't access the CIMC with any web browser and when trying to enter the CIMC configuration Utility presing F8 when booting the server it just displays a black screen with the message "Failure to communicate with CIMC". Is there a way to restore ir to the default settings of CIMC firmware? Because right now I can't seem to get in through SSH CLI or web browser CIMC.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

padramas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Eric,

Can you removing the power cable and then try accessing CIMC after re-connecting to power source ?

If that does not help, attach a monitor to server boot the server of CD with HUU image. The HUU image will have option to reset CIMC to factory default settings. You can try this option and let us know.

Padma

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

padramas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Eric,

Can you removing the power cable and then try accessing CIMC after re-connecting to power source ?

If that does not help, attach a monitor to server boot the server of CD with HUU image. The HUU image will have option to reset CIMC to factory default settings. You can try this option and let us know.

Padma

Hi Padma, thanks for yout reply!

I'll try to do that, the only problem is the C240 does not have a CD/DVD Drive and I obviously can't do the virtual media mapping, I guess I need to get an external CD/DVD drive to do this.

Hello ,

If AC power cycle did not help, please open a TAC service request to figure out if there any jumper settings to reset CIMC to factory default settings.

Padma

Oh wow, I'm dumb...

I thought I had done the AC power cycle yesterday but apparently that was not the case, so I did the power cycle right now and I can access the CIMC again, it seems to be working fine, the remote KVM is another story though. Thanks a lot Padma.

emil.gasimov
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys.Today I can solve problem.Download Cisco UCS host upgrade utility and upgrade BIOS and CIMC firmware.Solved on server Cisco UCS C420 m3

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card