cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to move UCS blade with OS on local disks between chassis

Sr. Nunes
Level 1
Level 1

I need to move a server between organizations and then to a new service profile but I can not lose the installation of S.O that is on local disk, in local disk policies there is a option to protect configuration, would this configuration be?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi

I have done such things with the following steps:

Assume sequential assignments of the UUID's, mac's,... pools and new SP referencing same pool

1) disassociate SP

2) delete SP (which returns associate values in the pool)

3) create new SP referencing old pool which automatically will assign the identical values.

4) associate new SP with proper blade.

Your procedure will work of course, but is a pain in the neck, also from the management point of view. (in case you have to do it for 10's of servers)

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Walter Dey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You are referring to the disk scrub policy:

Disk scrub

One of the following occurs to the data on any local drives on disassociation:

• If enabled, destroys all data on any local drives.

• If disabled, preserves all data on any local drives, including local storage configuration.

My question: your new SP will most likely get new values out of the same, or even other resource pool, e.g. UUID, MAC, pwwn, nwwn,....

Don't know how your OS reacts, if eg. the interfaces mac address are suddenly changed ?

Sr. Nunes
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Walter,

I am using esxi I will get the values of UUID wwpn and wwnn from the old profile and insert statically into the new profile that will have the identical policies.

Hi

I have done such things with the following steps:

Assume sequential assignments of the UUID's, mac's,... pools and new SP referencing same pool

1) disassociate SP

2) delete SP (which returns associate values in the pool)

3) create new SP referencing old pool which automatically will assign the identical values.

4) associate new SP with proper blade.

Your procedure will work of course, but is a pain in the neck, also from the management point of view. (in case you have to do it for 10's of servers)

What you gave me hits with the research I did, thank you very much for the support.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card