cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

management IP from service profile and from server

Amr Hafez
Level 1
Level 1

are there a difference between the management IP from the equipment tab --> server1 --> change mgmt IP

and from server tab--> service profile--> service profile1--> change mgmt IP

as I found that when I configured the mgmt from server in equipment tab, I could not find this IP in the mgmt in service profile mgmt IP

the attachment describe what I mean

2 Replies 2

Walter Dey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Out of band means communication over the 1G management port of the fabric interconnects.

By default, each blade in a chassis slot gets assigned a CIMC IP address out of the pool. Therefore, if you associate the SP to another blade, the CIMC / KVM address changes.

It is also possible to assign an IP address to a service profile, and avoid that the CIMC / KMV address changes, if association of the SP happens. The disadvantage is that you need a additional IP address for every SP, even if the SP is not associated. Therefore most customers don't use this feature.

Therefore, a CIMC can have a max of 2 IP addresses.

Abhishek Gupta
Level 1
Level 1

Adding to what walter said, in the earlier releases of UCS software, the management IP address which was used to access the CIMC on a server could only be accessed Out Of Band. In OOB, the traffic traverses the fabric interconnect via the management port to the network.

Below is an Example which would be helpful to you in Configuration :

CIMC InBand Access

Hope its helps,

Abhishek

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card