cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Servers will not gracefully shutdown (please help - reposting)

Jason Flory
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Everyone

In our UCS system we have the B200 M4 servers.  I have a maintenance policy that has user acknowledgement and when I deploy new firmware i get the pending activities and select reboot now and the server does nothing for about 5 minutes then just does a hard power down.   After this i tested in KVM console and did a shutdown selecting to do graceful shutdown and if not the hard power off in a 150 seconds.  The result was it hard power the server off.

Is this a missing driver?  Device manager does not show any missing devices.  I installed the nic drivers and chipset drivers on all hosts which took care of any missing drivers.

OS is server 2012 R2

Firmware version was 2.2(3c) and have upgraded to 2.2(5a)

Thanks 

6 Replies 6

Saurabh Kothari
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hey Jason,

did you experience the same on 2.2(3c)?

Yes

To be sure I updated all the drivers to match the firmware.  Did not do anything.   Are there any tools or something that i could be missing?  The only drivers that seem to apply to 2012 R2 are the NIC and chipset.  

I would suggest to open a TAC case as it seems like you are hitting a variant (based on the firmware you are running) of the bug: https://tools.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCtr30372/?reffering_site=dumpcr

I hope this helps.

-Kenny

Thanks I have opened a TAC case regarding this issue and they guy said that he had head of this and then never got back to us.   I will send this bug report to him.

The work around does not work for us.  If I only select shutdown server gracefully it just powers off immediately.  If I check both boxes it shuts down server in 150 seconds.

Thanks

goapps.us
Level 1
Level 1

there is a GPO that can affect this behavior. See Windows settings\security settings\Local Policies/security options: Allow system to be shut down without having to log on. 

Good luck 

My feeling is this is not what is causing our issue.  That particular policy just places the shutdown icon on the login screen opposed to the start button.  

Additionally I can remotely shutdown any of my server using the shutdown command and there are not events in the event log.  

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card