Views
Helpful
Replies

UCS C210M2 failed drive

a.brazendale
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a C210M2 UCS server in a RAID configuration which now has a failed drive. I have a replacement (Spare) drive (same part number) that i'm ready to swap in to the system to replace the faulty one. My question is: does it matter what data is on this spare drive? Does it matter that it was once part of another RAID UCS system? The drive i'm using is a good (used) drive that is part of another C210M2 server that we no longer use.

thanks,

AB

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Greetings.

In order to auto backfill the failed drive, the 'replacement' drive needs to have no config on it, and basically get seen as an unconfigured good drive, for the raid controller to auto rebuild using it.

The other option is to mark the replacement drive as a hot spare.

You may have to boot into the LSI option ROM (Cntrl+h) at post to do that, as the CIMC versions from those servers may not let you set the hotspare status, depending on the CIMC firmware version.

If there is a foreign config, then you will want to clear that, when prompted at boot/option rom time.

Thanks,

Kirk...

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

saigurr
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What RAID level that drives are using?

In some raid controller it is going to ask whether  we are ok to clear the data on the drive or not and in some other controllers it automatically builds its RAID according to the working disk.
if you want to swap a used drive , you can initialize(Format) the drive and then use it in the place of faulty one.

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Greetings.

In order to auto backfill the failed drive, the 'replacement' drive needs to have no config on it, and basically get seen as an unconfigured good drive, for the raid controller to auto rebuild using it.

The other option is to mark the replacement drive as a hot spare.

You may have to boot into the LSI option ROM (Cntrl+h) at post to do that, as the CIMC versions from those servers may not let you set the hotspare status, depending on the CIMC firmware version.

If there is a foreign config, then you will want to clear that, when prompted at boot/option rom time.

Thanks,

Kirk...

thanks for the replies. The spare (used) drives I had were actually in an unused UCS chassis so I went into the LSI config and removed the RAID configuration, so all drives were 'Unconfirmed - Good'. I've swapped the drive and it's now rebuilt.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card