Views
Helpful
Replies

UCS : Power Management : fence agent :Intersight

flamegri11ed
Level 1
Level 1

OLVM requires fence agent setup for power management

All listing of Service Profiles in the Cisco 6296 environment with B200M3's were testing fine.

Listing Service Profiles : fence_cisco_ucs --ip='10.16.16.80' --username='fence-kvm-user' --password='fence password' --ssl-insecure -o list 

fence_cisco_ucs --ip='10.16.16.80' --username='fence-kvm-user' --password='fence password' --plug="iscsi_kvm11" --subor
g="/org-B200M3clusteboot/" --ssl-insecure -o status -v

In the B200M5 (5108 and UCSx) environment with Cisco 6454, I have created a local fencing agent username and password and this has been attached to the Service Profiles. The attempts for a listing of service profiles in the domain using the above older UCS listing (-o list) does not work as I get error unable to login/connect to fencing device.

I am assuming Cisco Intersight(4.2(3e)) and UCS Manager(4.12b) connections/login are different and a different approach is needed.

Any advice would be help

Thank you.

• --ip: The UCS Manager IP address
  • --username: The login name for the fencing user in UCS

• --password: The password for the fencing user in UCS

• --plug (--port in older releases): The UCS service profile name, as found in the service profile listing
  • --suborg [optional]: The sub-organization for the UCS service profile"

8 Replies 8

Brian Morrissey
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Can you use the ipmi or redfish fencing options instead and point towards the CIMC IP of each node?  You are correct about the cause as the fence_cisco_ucs uses the UCSM XML API and the creators of that script would need to modify it to use Intersight APIs.

Thank you Brian . I will add the fence_redfish agent and test it and report the outcome.

The default switches for username and password and - status does not reveal anything atm.

Thank you for the information.

My Redfish attempt from the Oracle KVM server :

[root@kvm ~]# fence_redfish --ip='10.16.16.80' --username='Oracle' --password='password' --systems-uri=/redfish/v1/Systems/FCH221122CS --ssl-insecure -o status
ERROR: Unable to get PowerState: https://10.16.16.80:443/redfish/v1/Systems/FCH221122CS

Its the first time that I get a response and related to power. The Ovirt/OLVM power management requires it. Not sure if the uri"uri=/redfish/v1/Systems/XXXXXX" is correct for B220M5 blade power status.

Any advice to conquer Redfish would help.

Thank you.

Cisco Intersight Managed Mode Configuration Guide:  uses the IPMI policy with a local user with a local user role and Service Profile IP to achieve the(power management) fencing option-fence fence_ipmilan. Is this correct in saying this would be the right route to take on the B200M5's considering that the old option of "fence_cisco_ucs" no longer works ?

Correct, either fence_redfish or fence_ipmilan using the credentials defined in the local user policy.

For fence_redfish the URI that returns powerstate is /redfish/v1/Systems/<Serial#>, you can try curl from that machine to make sure its receiving a proper response back

curl -u username:password -k https://cimc_ip/redfish/v1/Systems/Serial#

Thank you Brian.

I could achieve that response by enabling Redfish on our C220M4 by doing curl -u username:password -k https://cimc_ip/redfish/v1/Systems/Serial#

I got the access denied message however on the B200M5 blade on the new Intersight environment.Not sure why using the Service Profile IP and local user with "admin" equivalent(which i assume must be user role only)

The access denied might be firmware related as redfish wasn't exposed to users initially in IMM mode, I'll see if I can track down when exactly redfish support was added in IMM but it should work on 5.1(0.230073) and higher.  On older versions like 4.2(3e) I get the same access denied.

If 4.2(3) is a requirement then the fence_ipimlan would be the solution

fence_ipmilan --ip='172.16.16.80' --username='Oracle' --password='password' --lanplus -o list: Test status = ON (powered on)  

Task : Create new IMPI policy (user role only) with previous attached local user policy (already attached to service profile for previous attempt at fence_ucs testing-no longer valid with ucs intersight)

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card