cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What naming guidelines to use for Cisco UCS Chassis and Blade / Server

alam1
Level 1
Level 1
What naming guidelines to use for Cisco UCS Chassis and Blade / Server?
======================================================================
1. Our Monitoring Tool Dicovers the UCS manager and all its components including FI's, Chassis, Servers etc in following format (non-snmp discovery)
sys/chassis-1/blade-1 ....6
This looks good but problem arises as we have not just one UCS Manager, using 5 of them for 5 differnt environments and for all
5 discovery is preety much same with same naming format as described above. Also monitoring system is integreted with Service now for
CI records etc. So it is quite confusing to have simmilar name / CI records for differnt UCS environments components and hard to
distinguish between them at times.
2. Also we cannot use the same physical labels for these equipments in euqipment rooms as seems quite unrealistci and not logical.

I know this is not a technical query and more of a discussion which needs some experienced based approach to get it resolved so
we can use some standarized names without getting so much confused with differnt / similar names at times for differnt equipemnt.

All answers or suggestions will be highly valuable an

Thanks
Imran

5 Replies 5

Our monitoring tool (ScienceLogic) administrators were able to provide the domain name in the Incident description, e.g.  

Root:name_of_domain | Cisco UCS Manager fault severity critical for component sys/chassis-5/blade-8: ID: 30953395, Code: F1000021, Cause: fsm-failed, Last Transition:

The "root" variable is the name of the UCSM that the monitoring tool points to. 

That way, we know immediately which domain, and that

domain_name1 sys/chassis-5/blade-8

is different from 

domain_name2 sys/chassis-5/blade-8

Hmmm, that looks preety okay. But are you using UCS central for managing Differnt Domains?
Because in our case we are using 5 diifernt UCS managers altogether for managing 5 differnt environments.

Thx
Imran

We happen to use Central on most but not all of our 43 domains, but that does not matter to the monitoring tool. It connects to UCSM and pulls the events. The monitoring solution is completely unaware and indifferent that some domains have objects managed by Central. 

Hi Riaan,
Looks like we are also using the same monotoring tool, Sciencelogic. But problem somehow is we don't have the right options enabled so
Naming is simmilar for all domains and it is hard to differntiate for us. Can you please guide me as how to point that variable root
in Sciencelogic so domain name also gets picked up accordingly. I 'm attching snips for two differnt domains with simmilar name from
my environment. Please have a look.

I unfortunately would not be able to provide guidance on how to set up ScienceLogic. Our monitoring team is responsible for the configuration and have a 3rd party provider / SL support partner assisting them with configurations like this. 

The big problem as I see it, is that the UCS Manager has no concept of itself or its domain name relative to other domains, in the inventory view. It always returns "sys"

A similar analogy is where you ask a host for its IP / name and it returns 172.0.0.1 / localhost . Technically it is correct (it is to the host / domain), but this information is not helpful for someone with more than one endpoint. 

If I had my way, I would ask SL to rewrite the discovered CI,

sys/chassis-5/blade-8

as 

domain_name1/chassis-5/blade-8

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card