cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BE6K - Is there a way to import Existing CUCM Config into the BE6K CUPM?

justrami
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

*Partner Question*

Is there a way to import import Existing CUCM Config into CUPM?

For example a customer has an existing CUCM deployment but wants to move to BE6K, can the existing config be exported a CSV and imported into the BE6K CUPM?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Andrew Hickman
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Justin,

It is not possible to import a full UCM configuration in to UPM-BE.  There are some parameters that can be imported (phone button templates and some security settings), but on the whole, UPM-BE builds and relies on its own configuration templates.

Regards,

Andy

View solution in original post

UPM-BE was designed for fresh installations, and thus does not have the ability to import a pre-existing system.  You can use Cisco Prime Collaboration Manager instead.  Licenses for both UPM-BE and PCM are included with a new BE6000 system.  Administrative simplification is similar with both products, although UPM-BE is a little simpler.  PCM also has more advanced features.  I actually recommend PCM over UPM-BE to all of my cusotmers that are considering BE6000.

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Andrew Hickman
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Justin,

It is not possible to import a full UCM configuration in to UPM-BE.  There are some parameters that can be imported (phone button templates and some security settings), but on the whole, UPM-BE builds and relies on its own configuration templates.

Regards,

Andy

UPM-BE was designed for fresh installations, and thus does not have the ability to import a pre-existing system.  You can use Cisco Prime Collaboration Manager instead.  Licenses for both UPM-BE and PCM are included with a new BE6000 system.  Administrative simplification is similar with both products, although UPM-BE is a little simpler.  PCM also has more advanced features.  I actually recommend PCM over UPM-BE to all of my cusotmers that are considering BE6000.

Question.  Can you clarify that licenses for the full UPM are included wtih BE6K ?  I was under the impression that only the "special" version for BE was included. (the one that can't import a config from CUCM)

Licenses for both UPM-BE and Prime Collaboration Manager are included with a new BE6000 system.  You'll need to choose which one you want to use at install time.  I usually recommend Prime Collaboration Manager.

So word from BU is that UPM-BE 9.0 can only be used for greenfield install and sync from UPM BE to CUCM is uni-directional. There is also a known issue with non NANP dial plan. I wish UPM BE documentation had all this clearly stated instead of partners wasting hours upon hours trying to make it work.

Cisco folks have advised us that as long as customer has valid ESW then they can replace UPM-BE with new Prime Collaboraton 9.0 (PCP) - Not to confuse this with Prime Collaboration Manager 1.2 which has also been announced end of sale last month.

How do we license full blown PCP for a BE6K install?  For instance, with UPM-BE 9.0, per the quick start guide you have to set a static MAC on the virtual machine to get the free license.  Would it be the same process for PCP?  Below is a link to the UPM-BE 9.0 quick start guide for reference.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/prime/unified_provisioning_manager/9.0BE/quick-start-guide/Cisco-Unified-ProvManager-90-BE-QuickStartGuide.html#wp54146

page 18 table 22 of BE6000 9.1 ordering guide says that if you have valid ESW contract then you can order upgrade to PCP via PUT tool.

Access to the Software Image, PAK and License File

The product numbers ordered for Prime Collaboration are: R-xxx and L-xxx. They result in an email being sent to the ordering ship-to email address providing instructions to access the Cisco eDelivery site to download the software image(s) and license Product Authorization Keys (PAKs) you ordered. The software image is downloaded and installed on the host server. The license PAK ID from the ESD site allows you to access the Cisco Licensing Site to associate the server MAC address to a license key or keys that are then installed on the host server(s). These license keys activate the Prime Collaboration software to be used in a production environment. These license keys also convert a trial installation into a production environment.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/net_mgmt/prime/collaboration/9.0/quick/start/guide/Cisco_Prime_Collaboration_9.html#wp113706

This is great news!  The fact that we can't sync UPM-BE with CUCM is a major reason we never deploy it at customer sites.  Do we know if there is any way to get the entitlement from the start with fresh installs of BE6Ks?  Our experience is UCSS and ESW contracts take time to process (usually weeks) after we do the implementation.  By the time the contracts become active we've moved on to other projects.  We'd love to leave PCP behind for customers to help them maintain there systems but if we can't roll it out during implementation it ain't never going to get deployed.

I don't think you can get PCP with your original order though that may change in the near future or Cisco might fix the bugs in UPM-BE.

My understanding is you can install PCP in evaluation mode for 60 days which should give you enough time for your UCSS/ESW to be processed. Second option is to ping your Cisco AM and they are normally happy to arrange you a 60 day temp license.

UPM-BE is currently shipping on BE6000 orders.  Cisco is working to get PCM shipped on new systems, but there are still several details to work through.  You may request PCM via your UCSS/ESW contract here.  While you wait for PCM, you can download a copy to test with here.

when you say PCM I am assuming you meant PCP because PCM has been announced end of life?

I wonder who come up with these product naming conventions as they all look and sound the same!

I am referring to the Provisioning application withing Prime Collaboration 9.0 management system.  I guess we can call it PCP now!  This function was formerly packaged as PCM and UPM before that.  Sorry for any confusion!