cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SPA525G Not pulling IP Address

RYAN CARLSEN
Level 1
Level 1

Have a SPA525G2 phone that lost connectivity.  Discovered thru the network status page it did not have an IP address assigned. 

Hardware troubleshooting already performed includes: swapping out Ethernet cable, tried different port on switch, tested on different router.  None of those steps helped.

Performed factory reset and still no DHCP IP address.

Attempted to assign static IP directly from the phone.  This changed the display and the phone appeared to be connected to the network with the new settings.  However, i am still unable to successfully ping or http in to the phone using the static address.

Any other troubleshooting steps that i can try or is it just time to replace this unit?  It is only approx 3 years old.

Thanks!

3 Replies 3

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

DHCP address is not assigned because:

1. DHCP request has not been sent by the phone
  2. Request has been lost in transit
  3. Request has not been responded by DHCP server
  4. Response has been lost in transit
  5. request is sent in other VLAN than the DHCP server is connected to

[1] mean there's a issue with phone, [2] and [4] mean there's issue with the network, [3] mean there's a issue with DHCP server.

[5] mean the issue is caused by switch misconfiguration or so

Catch packets on phone's side as well as on DHCP server side to distinguish those cases.

Edit: case 5 has been added

not exactly sure how to catch the newtork packets but does the fact that i cant ping the phone even after assigning a static ip manually mean its an issue with the phone?

No. The phone may be configured in other VLAN because of CDP message sent by switch (for example).

If you wish to be sure then connect phone using crosswired cable directly to the PC then ping using static IP configuration on both phone and PC. Beware of firewall on PC.

Of course, the phone may be broken as well.