cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AnyConnect on iOS avoiding the first use dialog popup?

jan.nielsen
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Everyone,

I have been trying to figure out how to not have AnyConnect popup on first use, on an iphone/ipad with the dialog that says "extend the Virtual Private Network (VPN) capabilities of your device". We are using anyconnect in per-app vpn mode, with automatic connection using certificates for validation, and using Airwatch to deploy Anyconnect and the profiles for anyconnect, certificates and per app vpn settings, so the user does not actually have any use for opening anyconnect at any point, however if they don't and click "ok" to the dialog, it just won't work. Anyone know if this dialog can be avoided somehow?

The AnyConnect ios user guide, has this info :

Start AnyConnect

Procedure
Tap the AnyConnect icon on the iPhone or iPad home screen.

If this is the first time you are starting AnyConnect after installing or upgrading, choose OK to enable AnyConnect, allowing this app to extend the Virtual Private Network (VPN) capabilities of your device.

4 Replies 4

Aditya Ganjoo
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Could you share the Anyconnect version you are using on the smart device ?

Step to avoid the issue -

1. Install AnyConnect and enable external control.
2. Run AnyConnect directly.
3. Message below appears because this is initial boot. Click "OK"
"Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client extends the Virtual Private Network(VPN) capabilities of your device. Do you want to enable this software?"
4. Message "Enabling..." appears for a moment.
5. Run AnyConnect via customer`s handmade application.

Regards,

Aditya

Please rate helpful posts.

It's an iOS device, it's running the newest version from the app store 4.0.03021

I don't understand your answer, what you state as steps to avoid the issue, is the exact issue, i need to avoid telling users that they have to start anyconnect and press the ok button, for it to work.

Hi Jan,

My bad let me check if there is a way to avoid this.

Regards,

Aditya

bern81
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Jan,

Do you have a config template for the airwatch to create an anyconnect VPN profile with the new anyconnect app (v4.6.00)?

I am trying to configure Per-app VPN on iphone ios 11.3

Also is it possible to use a user/pass based authentication instead of certificate base?

Is it possible to use self-signed certificate ?

I configured the per-app policies base 64 code to support all ios apps (*.*)

Created a conn-profile and group-policy attached to it (like instructed in the manuals)

So far we were able to push the VPN profile from airwatch to the iphone using user authentication method in airwatch  but when i try to connect from the anyconnect client,  it reports the following issue.

" connection attempt has failed due to server communication errors".

I checked the logs on the ASA-5512 v9.6(2).

It starts the anyconnect ssl vpn session , start TLS Handshake then directly tears-down the session without any further logs.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance