cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Clientless SSL (WebVPN) broken after Chrome/ edge 124 update

TrietNguyen
Level 1
Level 1

Hey guys - Does anyone else have this issue in the title with ASA using the WebVPN ? TLS handshakes are failing after the Chrome 124 updates. After doing research it's due to hybridized kyber support. The current workaround for Chrome/ Edge is below for anyone else that has this issue but I've seen 0 posts on this regarding Cisco. Plenty of other vendors have this issue as well

chrome://flags/#enable-tls13-kyber set to disabled

Computer Configuration > Policies > Administrative Templates > Google > Google Chrome > Enable post-quantum key agreement for TLS > Disabled

Computer Configuration > Policies > Administrative Templates > Microsoft Edge> Enable post-quantum key agreement for TLS > Disabled

6 Replies 6

jason-gauruder
Level 1
Level 1

Similar here.  The chrome 124 with that hybridized kyber support enabled is affecting any connect with SAML, but only on our 5516 and not 5545 (same asa code version 9.12(4)62).   The web browser gives a ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Another thread was discussing this issue and a fix was shared there. Reference: https://community.cisco.com/t5/vpn/cisco-anyconnect-browser-err-ssl-protocol-error/td-p/5035809

Appreciate that thread link Marvin.   We are using the reg key workaround for now mentioned in that thread.  The ASA version the author of the other thread mentioned working for their ASA running on FPR2130 (9.19.1.24 and 9.19.1.28) is not available for ASA model 5516 (up to version 9.14.4 available).   So we have implemented the reg key workaround for the time being.     

Hey Jason,

i read through that issue as well and it looks similar but not the exact issue. I was running the latest interim 9.15 interim release too and I see you’re on 9.14. I believe the codebase is too old and isn’t supported , during a maintenance window I updates to the latest 9.16 interim and it resolved the issue without requiring a client side fix 

interesting...was that with a 5516 or similar like my situation ?    I think we may have a spare 5508 laying around maybe I can test 9.16 interim.  I see the latest release for 5516 is from April 1st 2024 : asa9-16-4-57-lfbff-k8.SPA  I read the interim release notes ( https://www.cisco.com/web/software/280775065/163160/ASA-9164-Interim-Release-Notes.html ) and don't see mention of the chrome 124 or kyber issue, but maybe just not mentioned specifically like that.

We're on a 5516x as well. The interim release was specifically for 2 zero day exploits that got patched, but yup , same experience as you where I dug for notes and anything related to post quantum encryption / kyber and no results. I actually moved branches since  9.15.1.21 hasn't been updated since 2022 so I moved to 9.16.4-57 . I see 9.14.4-24 came out April 25 so you at least have some updates there if you haven't tried it but it's worth a shot trying 9.16 . Should be a ppretty straight forward update. Curious on how you make out