Views
Helpful
Replies

Problems with AnyConnect package download

niLuxx
Level 1
Level 1

Dear community,

I'm a little bit out iof deas. I have bought a ASA 5508-X which contains two valid licenses for AnyConnect Security Mobility by default. Unfortunately we didn't receive an installation media together with the shipment. I wanted to configure AnyConnect-VPN and recognized that I have to download the packages from cisco website (anyconnect-win-4.6.02074-webdeploy-k9.pkg). Unfortunately I'm not allowed to do that without a service contract. Our company has fewer than 10 employees which means that a service contract doesn't make sense at all from my point of view. But nevertheless I tried to find a contract via service finder. For the ASA5508-X no service is available.

What can I do know? Where do I get the packages from and get the VPN running I have bought together with the router?

Cheers,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The two included licenses are a legacy offering that was intended primarily for administrators to be able to try out the feature and not meant as a substitute for purchases licenses. End users should be using the AnyConnect 4.6 licenses which, as Rahul correctly noted, require you to purchase at least an entry level license for AnyConnect. This is also noted on the Anyconnect download page which states "AnyConnect 4.6 is available to customers with active AnyConnect Apex, Plus or VPN Only term/contracts."

I believe the minimum is 25 users and a 1-year term list price for that is US$150 (meaning you should be able to buy it for a bit less - maybe US$100).

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Rahul Govindan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You need to purchase the AnyConnect Plus or Apex license to be able to have authorization to download and use the Anyconnect 4.x images. AnyConnect 3.x is EOL and no longer available for download. You can buy a 10 user Anyconnect Plus Term License for 12-160 month terms. SKU is "L-AC-PLS-LIC= ". Details are provided in the ordering guide below:

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/products/collateral/security/anyconnect-og.pdf 

Hello Rahul,

Thanks for your fast response. Nevertheless the point is not to 100% clear to me. Why there are two AnyConnect licenses included into the ASA-5508-X, if I cannot use them out of the box? For big companies it maybe doesn't play a role to pay a little bit more, but we do not have a possibility to pay additional licenses we do not need. Or do I mix something up and the delivery package is not mandatory for usage of AnyConnect VPN in general? Is it maybe possible to download the VPN-Client itself (without downloading them from ASA device)?

Greetings

niLuxx

To download AnyConnect whether EXE to be uploaded to ASA or standalone
installation you need to have AnyConnect license associated with our Cisco
CCO.

This is how Cisco licensed the box and they consider AnyConnect as Add-on
feature which you need to pay for similar to TMC or TAC license.

Hi Mohammed,

Thanks for your reply. I received the same information by other people. Nevertheless that would mean that the official documentation made by Cisco is wrong. If it is mentioned that there are two valid licenses for AnyConnect available for the ASA router and finally it is not allowed to use them, than I would expect this is just a mistake.

For big companies not a big deal, but for smaller one definitely not good.

Greetings

niLuxx 

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The two included licenses are a legacy offering that was intended primarily for administrators to be able to try out the feature and not meant as a substitute for purchases licenses. End users should be using the AnyConnect 4.6 licenses which, as Rahul correctly noted, require you to purchase at least an entry level license for AnyConnect. This is also noted on the Anyconnect download page which states "AnyConnect 4.6 is available to customers with active AnyConnect Apex, Plus or VPN Only term/contracts."

I believe the minimum is 25 users and a 1-year term list price for that is US$150 (meaning you should be able to buy it for a bit less - maybe US$100).

Hello Marvin,

Thanks for your message. I can definitely understand that. But even for the Administrator it wouldn't be possible to test, since the AnyConnect Client cannot be downloaded :-)

We are a really small company. There are no more then 1 or two people connecting via VPN. That means the standard license would be to 100% enough.

But it is not working, since I cannot execute the mandatory step by downloading the package-file.

Greetings

niLuxx