cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Updated to Ubuntu 24.04. I am not able to use Secure-VPN anymore

rorororo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, as the title says, I am unable to connect to my Cisco Secure VPN after updating my OS from Ubuntu 22.02 to 24.04. The error I receive is

"You are missing the required libraries for the authentication method you requested."

Upon closer inspection, this is the actual error:

"/opt/cisco/secureclient/bin/acwebhelper: error while loading shared libraries: libwebkit2gtk-4.0.so.37: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
/opt/cisco/secureclient/bin/acwebhelper: error while loading shared libraries: libsoup-2.4.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"

I have attempted to install "libwebkit2gtk-4.0.so.37" but I am unable because this runs on "libsoup-2.4.so.1" and this new version uses "libsoup-3.0-0:amd64".

I have also attempted having both libsoup versions, which allows me to install "libwebkit2gtk-4.0.so.37". Unfortunately, this results in another error:

"libsoup-ERROR **: 17:02:57.257: libsoup2 symbols detected. Using libsoup2 and libsoup3 in the same process is not supported."

I'm unsure of what I can do next, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Error fixed, please disregard.

7 Replies 7

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Seems like a software incompatibility problem between the secure-vpn and the upgraded ubuntu , look into latest version of secure-vpn (e.g.)

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

dracusds123
Level 1
Level 1

How did you fix it? did you download the newer VPN client or change the required libraries?

amertaprima
Level 1
Level 1

It seems like the issue stems from a compatibility problem between the Cisco Secure VPN client and the newer versions of the libraries in Ubuntu 24.04. Here's a step-by-step solution you can try:

1. Check for Updates: Ensure that you have the latest version of the Cisco Secure VPN client that is compatible with Ubuntu 24.04. Sometimes, newer versions of software include fixes for compatibility issues with updated libraries.

2. Library Compatibility: Since the error message indicates a missing library (`libwebkit2gtk-4.0.so.37` and `libsoup-2.4.so.1`), you can try creating symbolic links to the corresponding libraries in Ubuntu 24.04:

```bash
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libwebkit2gtk-4.0.so.37 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libwebkit2gtk-4.0.so.36
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libsoup-2.4.so.1 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libsoup-2.4.so.0
```

This creates symbolic links from the required libraries to the versions available on your system. This may trick the Cisco Secure VPN client into using the newer libraries while maintaining compatibility.

3. Fallback to Previous Versions: If creating symbolic links doesn't work, you might need to consider downgrading the libraries to versions that are compatible with the Cisco Secure VPN client. You can search for and download the older versions of `libwebkit2gtk-4.0` and `libsoup-2.4` manually and install them.

4. Contact Cisco Support: If none of the above solutions work, reach out to Cisco support for assistance. They might have specific recommendations or patches to address compatibility issues with newer Ubuntu versions.

5. Consider Alternatives: If the Cisco Secure VPN client continues to pose compatibility problems, consider using alternative VPN solutions that are known to work well with Ubuntu 24.04.

Always remember to backup important files and configurations before making significant changes to your system. Additionally, be cautious when installing or modifying system libraries to avoid unintended consequences. 
Harga U Ditch 

johnd2310
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

Try using OpenConnect

OpenConnect is a native vpn client in Ubuntu that is compatible with a number vpn servers

Thanks

John

**Please rate posts you find helpful**

stsargen
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
Please see the release notes for 5.1.3...

Cisco Secure Client 5.1.3.62 New Features

This release includes the following features and support updates, and resolves the defects described in Cisco Secure Client 5.1.3.62.

• macOS 11 is no longer supported.

• This 5.1.3.62 release will not support Ubuntu 24.04 LTS.

destro226
Level 1
Level 1

@stsargen please provide a workaround instead of just saying it is unsupported, that is not helpful

openconnect doesnt work with SSO

tom-saviour
Level 1
Level 1

Hey @stsargen,

Is there any timeline by which we can expect for the next release of AnyConnect. Would that release be supporing Ubuntu 24.04